A lot of very small spider like creature (around 1mm) in the backyard soil, they move very fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
A lot of very small spider like creature (around 1mm) in the backyard soil, they move very fast. Are they good or bad? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I was thinking they are spider mites. But which confusing me is they stay in soil not on leaves. Maybe those plants are too young(just sprout a few weeks)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a spider, not a mite. Probably beneficial. Some spiders are harmful to plants when they roll up a leaf edge to lay eggs but I think yours are baby spiders. They won't hurt anything. Also mites move just a little faster than a glacier

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Another clue is they moves very fast which seems like they are predator. Normally
That is a spider, not a mite. Probably beneficial. Some spiders are harmful to plants when they roll up a leaf edge to lay eggs but I think yours are baby spiders. They won't hurt anything. Also mites move just a little faster than a glacier

Thanks for the response.
Another thing confusing me is that I don't see any spider webs. And looks like those little creature like coffee ground.

Interestingly, I found this article. More confusion. :)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/california-mite-fastest-animal-ever-quirks-1.3498503

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another clue is they moves very fast which seems like they are predator. Normally

Thanks for the response.
Another thing confusing me is that I don't see any spider webs. And looks like those little creature like coffee ground.

Interestingly, I found this article. More confusion. :)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/california-mite-fastest-animal-ever-quirks-1.3498503
I would bet money that those are newly hatched Brown Garden spiders. They don't make webs, they are called a wandering spider. They lay these white or light brown cottony like balls underground. When they hatch all of these little baby spiders are running around everywhere.
Most mites are so small it takes either extraordinary eyesight or a magnifying glass to even see them on a sheet of white paper so 200 body lengths isn't all that far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks all for the replies.

I think I found it. They are good mites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoaspis_miles

Hypoaspis miles is a small (0.5 mm) light brown mite that lives in the top ½ in layer of soil. As a natural predator of fungus gnat pupae and of the snail parasite Riccardoella aspersa it is used by gardeners and snail breeders for biological pest control. Hypoaspis miles is also commonly used by Reptile, Amphibian and Invertebrate keepers as a preventative or reactive measure against Grain Mites and Reptile Mites. Where most Mite treatments are Chemical based, Predatory mites are used as a natural method of preventing and curing Mite infestations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I found it. They are good mites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoaspis_miles

Hypoaspis miles is a small (0.5 mm) light brown mite that lives in the top ½ in layer of soil. As a natural predator of fungus gnat pupae and of the snail parasite Riccardoella aspersa it is used by gardeners and snail breeders for biological pest control. Hypoaspis miles is also commonly used by Reptile, Amphibian and Invertebrate keepers as a preventative or reactive measure against Grain Mites and Reptile Mites. Where most Mite treatments are Chemical based, Predatory mites are used as a natural method of preventing and curing Mite infestations.
It very well could be. I looked up pictures of Hypoaspis and they do look similar. Is there any way to catch one and get a better picture? I wonder if these mites can control Red Spider Mites on tomatoes? @ 48$ per 10000 they are a little expensive but it might be worth it to save 100+ large tomato plants for a fall garden. I had never heard of them before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It very well could be. I looked up pictures of Hypoaspis and they do look similar. Is there any way to catch one and get a better picture? I wonder if these mites can control Red Spider Mites on tomatoes? @ 48$ per 10000 they are a little expensive but it might be worth it to save 100+ large tomato plants for a fall garden. I had never heard of them before.

wow, 100+ large tomato plants, you have a huge yard.

Hypoaspis are too tiny and fast to catch them without smashing them. Here are pictures and video I can find. The mites in the video looks a little bit bigger than those found in my garden.

http://www.naturesperfectplantfood.com/2012/04/05/mites-in-the-worm-bin/

I think 90% I can confirm those are Hypoaspis in the backyard soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
wow, 100+ large tomato plants, you have a huge yard.

Hypoaspis are too tiny and fast to catch them without smashing them. Here are pictures and video I can find. The mites in the video looks a little bit bigger than those found in my garden.

http://www.naturesperfectplantfood.com/2012/04/05/mites-in-the-worm-bin/

I think 90% I can confirm those are Hypoaspis in the backyard soil.
After seeing the video I am more convinced that they are garden spiders, but I could be wrong.

Ask a Question