Around the House Pallet Projects

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From our business, we get a good number of wood pallets. I have always wanted to do some projects using pallets, especially for the garden, but taking them apart is a real pain, so I just give them away. No more! I just purchased a pallet buster, air powered nail puncher and a crescent nail remover on Amazon today.

1c64b599-4e46-4922-a847-931b9fd25e7d_1.6135786ce68d27bbae6b2014e8974ff1.jpg
918c476a-3cd3-4364-9928-0206eb1b9267_1.84a087cada0836546da7365017f51ec1.jpg
pACE3-14700178enh-z7.jpg

The first project I want to do is make a potting table for my greenhouse, but I also want to make some planters, benches, window boxes, new compost bin, garden fence and others. The pallets are free, and these tools should pay for themselves after a few projects

Do you use pallets? Either whole or dismantled? I would love to hear your ideas and see any pics you might have.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Nice one MoonShadows I like your style. (y)

Whilst I was working one of my departments was the timber department where we made pallets; crates and boxes etc. Our product was electric motors of all sizes which were very easily damaged in transit so I designed lots of special pallets. I also designed palletizing tables these being heavy angle iron stands with 2" x 1" channel iron tops with the open channel uphill; this then allowed Signode steel strapping of motors from all four sides of the pallet; we used to use so much steel strapping we always had a large stock and weekly the rep would visit to do a stock take because to run out of strapping would have shut production down.

upload_2017-11-25_10-26-17.png

The strapping tools shown above were on hire and were very reliable indeed any problems with a tool a phone call had a replacement one with us in less than a day.

I also designed an all metal very heavy pallet making table with adjustable arms to accommodate 3 pallets at a time with overhead counterbalanced nail guns; pallets were a big part of my life and the pallets we bought in the standard Euro's we ordered in loads of 300.

There are many excellent YouTube videos showing pallet projects; pallets make good fencing and should last around 15 years; I know because I've used pallets for fencing.

A bit over the top for this forum but there are pallet dismantling machines used in industry; here's just one of many types;

A neighbour friend years ago came up with a very good idea regarding adding an electronic chip into each pallet for identification he being a CEO of a company; I mentioned how pallets are assembled using nail guns and would this damage such a chip?

Please be advised regarding the familiar blue "Chep" pallets; you could end up in court by using or even breaking one of these pallets because they belong to Chep;

upload_2017-11-25_10-45-33.png

Brook Motors are renowned the world over and at its peak the headquarters where I worked could produce around 1,300 motors per day; we became a central despatch hub for all our other factories and the range and size of motors was enormous; I certainly was close up and familiar with pallets.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...r1xtnXAhXnApoKHc_-DUgQsAQIJw&biw=1920&bih=949

Sorry to hijack your thread MoonShadows but pallets played a big part in my working life at all levels; imagine the stress in despatching a product like these.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MoonShadows; I was with the company 24 years and during that time it went downhill; by the time I left the company managers were at each other's throats and departments working against each other; in a final meeting I attended when asked the question what we thought about the company one guy summed it up very well indeed; "A rosy apple with a rotten core". I was in charge of three departments and the pressure and stress were terrible; there were strong rumours circulating that I was to be given a fourth department; I couldn't switch off bringing the stress home with me affecting my sleep; I couldn't have an holiday in peace; phones and my pager used to drive me to total frustration wondering which way to turn. I attended one meeting with a valuable customer; a manager at one of our other factories gave a firm promise a pallet of small motors would be on the following days delivery wagon; at midnight I suddenly sat up in bed realizing I hadn't seen this important pallet so back to work I went to have a word with the night team; the pallet hadn't come from the other factory in fact the motors were not even ready; I cared deeply about my job and if I said I would do something I ensured I did it because I always carried a small notebook and pen both having a much better memory than I have. I retired in 2000 aged 53 shortly after suffering shingles; it was a case of walk out before I was carried out so I've now been happily retired for 17 years.

I used to visit woodworking machinery manufacturer displays where all kinds of such machinery was demonstrated including pallet stripping machines; I was impressed by the Paslode nail gun firing 6" nails into solid hardwood to full depth; I love such toys? The electric motors we manufactured were top class it was just people who caused the problems.:(

I'm looking forward to seeing some items you make from old pallets MoonShadows; the obvious to make on a gardening forum would be compost bins as you mentioned.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You were under a tremendous amount of stress. It is a good thing you were able to get out at 53. The 3 pallet tools I purchased are an early Christmas present. We don't go on vacations or out to restaurants or have fine cars or clothes. We lead a pretty simple life. Presents are usually things we can use in our hobbies or in our gardens and yard. I've been eyeing these tools for a while. I probably won't get to use them until Spring, but that's ok. I'm already looking forward to it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW MoonShadows; we have a great deal in common. Bron and I haven't had a vacation (holiday) away from home in the last forty years; we never frequent restaurants; designer clothes are not our thing; we do run brand new cars which I think is our only luxury but we've worked hard for this privilege; we've lived within our means and saved over the years whilst everyone else was racking up debts on their plastic cards; we get told many times it's OK for us because we don't have kids but we've both known lots of illness; we don't drink alcohol; smoke nor do drugs.

I'm pretty sure you and your wife have over the years been very sensible looking after and respecting each other investing in your home the hard earned money just as Bron and I have. Our presents too are always home related and useful; my biggest asset is Bron who has done without for many a long year so now it's finally come round that I can spoil Bron something I do at every opportunity; we have very few true friends whom we fully trust but like you MoonShadows we lead a very simple life not wanting for anything; on special occasions Bron buys craft items for her hobbies whilst I always buy tools or machines; our life would appear boring to lots of people but we are happy and content. We are happy sharing each other's company and we don't feel the need to run away on holiday or to try to impress anyone. Good on you and your wife MoonShadows you'll know what true happiness is. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have woodworking skills, but I always thought this would be fairly easy to make. (y) It doesn't require too much deconstruction of the pallet, and I like the open slats on the sides that you could tuck little plants into. :)

Ask a Question