Issues with Privet Hedge around the house

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I have uploaded 3 photos but they all relate to the same issue.

My privet hedge is very patchy on the sides that don't get the sun.

One hedge I stripped a ton of Ivy out of it and now its very patchy.

Another had chicken wire around the base so hence hasn't grown there.

The other has a big patch and it want it to grow to meet the wall.

Any help/suggestions welcome

Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• 20180407_144822.jpg
    20180407_144822.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 20180407_144829.jpg
    20180407_144829.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 20180407_144910.jpg
    20180407_144910.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 994
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Grillpan ,
I doubt if I will be much help as my hubs looks after ours. But one thing we do is keep a constant supply of cuttings going and if and when we detect a weak or thin spot we then pop a new bit in , wait for it to grow then gradually reduce the 'bad bit. Cuttings root really easily ..also good for filling in gaps too, like the bit that you want to reach your wall.

Privet does seem to grow better out of the shade. We planted up a new section a couple of years ago ( different hedging there before) and it didn't grow well at all, after a bit of thought we decided to raise the canopy of a nearby tree and the extra light made all the difference! Is the shade on yours caused by a tree or building ?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

Cheers for coming back to me.

All shaded bits are caused by big trees or building.

I'll get a few more small hedges cuttings and plant them through it.

Still don't know how to get the bottom of the hedge to grow?

Cheers

Grill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is it an old hedge?
Our house is over 100 yrs old ( in parts) and the original bit that we inherited with the house was also very thin at the bottom , sadly it hadn't be looked after so we kept trimming it and watering it and eventually new growth appeared. (y)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

Yeah my house would be 100 years old. Previous owner had put chicken wire on the bottom of the hedge to stop cats coming in. Also wrecked the hedge!

How often do you water? Should I feed the hedge with anything?

Cheers

Sean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Now we don't really water it but if we have a dry spell in the summer then we will give the newer part a good soaking once or twice a week. We have a lot of Privet, it surrounds the whole garden..back and front.
Mmmmm...feeding it? Originally we did start to add bonemeal to the new section and strangely enough we thought it got worse, so we simply stopped and just watered it regularly and it improve.
But no doubt someone will come along and give you better advice on the feeding issue soon :)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure it will look a lot better once the real growing season kicks in. Any chance you could lop off some tree branches to allow for more light?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I wish!

There are two massive Yucca trees in the house opposite mine but one over. They are ridiculous but dont really effect my hedge sun wise. Think they suck up a lot of moisture to.

The back hedge was literally 50% Ivy which I ripped out. You can actually see through the hedge!

But there are small buds of hope appearing. Will take a good while to recover just.

G

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Water, water especially if the trees are close by as they are greedy and will absorb any available moisture going! :((y)

Hopefully we have successfully bumped up your thread and some more knowledgeable people will drop in with better advice.....I am definitely still wearing my gardening 'L' plates :LOL::LOL:

Ask a Question