Cucumber issues. :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. My garden this year was doing great until recently. I startes noticing issues with my cucumbers . bunch of ants all over because of a serious aphid problem. I went and sprayed it down with neem oil and took care of the ants with borax/sugar cottonballs ..and d.e..

Now I noticed little rusty looking holes in the leaves.. I assumed was aphid damage . But its getting alot worse (aphid problem still not under control).
I want to know what you guys think? Is this insect or fungal? How shpuld I treat thia problem?
Its in a raised bed previously strawberries were in here last year. I since topped with new compost tilled it really good before planting... Then one month after plabting I side dressed with dr earth tomato fertilizer organic. (Problem started before the dr earth)
What do you guys think? How should I fix? Im going to continue to treat the aphid issue brcause they are all over all of my plants. However the cukes are the only ones showing serious symptoms...
Thanks alot .

P.s the yellow leaves on the left side of picture are really not yellow. I took the picture at 6am right as sun was rising. . so the yellow leaves and really light green. A couple of thw sick leaves are really yellow though.

Attachments

• 15303555732787326189546837975258.jpg
    15303555732787326189546837975258.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey everyone. My garden this year was doing great until recently. I startes noticing issues with my cucumbers . bunch of ants all over because of a serious aphid problem. I went and sprayed it down with neem oil and took care of the ants with borax/sugar cottonballs ..and d.e..

Now I noticed little rusty looking holes in the leaves.. I assumed was aphid damage . But its getting alot worse (aphid problem still not under control).
I want to know what you guys think? Is this insect or fungal? How shpuld I treat thia problem?
Its in a raised bed previously strawberries were in here last year. I since topped with new compost tilled it really good before planting... Then one month after plabting I side dressed with dr earth tomato fertilizer organic. (Problem started before the dr earth)
What do you guys think? How should I fix? Im going to continue to treat the aphid issue brcause they are all over all of my plants. However the cukes are the only ones showing serious symptoms...
Thanks alot .

P.s the yellow leaves on the left side of picture are really not yellow. I took the picture at 6am right as sun was rising. . so the yellow leaves and really light green. A couple of thw sick leaves are really yellow though.
From what I can see in the picture it could be a fungal problem, Downy Mildew. I say this because of the yellow halos. It could also be aphids causing it. The first thing to do is to get rid of the aphids. Neem is not the best thing for aphids nor are soaps or any of the multiple home remedies. Use a spinosad based insecticide. Care must be taken to spray the underside of all the leaves and all of the stems. Once the aphids are gone watch the plant carefully. If the plant is totally infected remove the entire plant. If partially infected remove the affected parts. Do not water overhead and keep the leaves dry. Neem is an anti-fungal agent but if used as an anti-fungal must be used on a regular basis. If where you live is very humid or damp nothing will completely cure the problem. The best remedy is prevention. Provide a LOT of air circulation and try to keep the plants dry.
https://www.veggiegardener.com/diseases/downy-mildew/
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/PhotoPages/Cucurbit/Downy_News/DownyFS6.htm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info chuck. Im trying to keep my garden 100% organic thats why I was using the neem oil. But your right after I used it dit didnt rrally seem to help my aphid problems . I have ywllow sticky traps around catxhingbtons of them and tons of mostquitos.
How come mosquitos seem to be attracted to my garden? Especially my tomato plants .Its weird from understanding mosquitos only feed off animal blood. And I have no animals in my garden and yet my sticky traps are loaded eith hundreds of mosqutos and aphids ..lol.
I trird googling why my tomatoes have so many mosquitos with no answer ...its horrible because those things bite and spread disease ..some cases extremely deadly as well .
But my big concern at the moment is cucumber plants because I try to take precaution to not get mossquto bite . luckily so far so good no cucumber beetles yet. (Thank God). Well my stixky traps caught 1 striped and on thenother side a spotted cucumber beetle. Theybhad to be stragglers because I only saw that one time never seen again. Thank god.

So far we are thinking this cucumber problem is "Downy Mildew." If its possible to be anything else please let me knownguys I will add more picsnif it'll help. Thamks alot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info chuck. Im trying to keep my garden 100% organic thats why I was using the neem oil. But your right after I used it dit didnt rrally seem to help my aphid problems . I have ywllow sticky traps around catxhingbtons of them and tons of mostquitos.
How come mosquitos seem to be attracted to my garden? Especially my tomato plants .Its weird from understanding mosquitos only feed off animal blood. And I have no animals in my garden and yet my sticky traps are loaded eith hundreds of mosqutos and aphids ..lol.
I trird googling why my tomatoes have so many mosquitos with no answer ...its horrible because those things bite and spread disease ..some cases extremely deadly as well .
But my big concern at the moment is cucumber plants because I try to take precaution to not get mossquto bite . luckily so far so good no cucumber beetles yet. (Thank God). Well my stixky traps caught 1 striped and on thenother side a spotted cucumber beetle. Theybhad to be stragglers because I only saw that one time never seen again. Thank god. BTW spinosad is organic.

So far we are thinking this cucumber problem is "Downy Mildew." If its possible to be anything else please let me knownguys I will add more picsnif it'll help. Thamks alot.
Like I said, for aphids get some spinosad. The reason you have so many mosquitoes is because the soil is damp and shaded.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey chuck (or anyone that might know)
Does this have anyrhing to do with my overall problems? I noticed this shortly after I plantes my garden. (Everything was boight as small plants then transplanted in my raised beds).

Basically the stem looks brown a
And dried out . i thought it may have to do with me pushing the plant over to train towards the trellis .
But now I'm wondering.
What do you think? Thanks

Attachments

• 15306317212264497062640850041098.jpg
    15306317212264497062640850041098.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey chuck (or anyone that might know)
Does this have anyrhing to do with my overall problems? I noticed this shortly after I plantes my garden. (Everything was boight as small plants then transplanted in my raised beds).

Basically the stem looks brown a
And dried out . i thought it may have to do with me pushing the plant over to train tords the trellis .
But now I'm wondering.The onlyWhat do you think? Thanks
The only thing that I can see of any concern is that you planted 3 cucs within inches of each other. With all of the foliage growth that makes for very poor air circulation, which in turn leads to mold and mildew. (and mosquitos)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing that I can see of any concern is that you planted 3 cucs within inches of each other. With all of the foliage growth that makes for very poor air circulation, which in turn leads to mold and mildew. (and mosquitos)

Yes I know. I asked the guy at the nursery if I should cut the other ones. He said no just let them grow. Because there was 2-3 plants growing fron each. From now on im going to start my own seeds because I dont like the risk of bringing disease and pests from their greenhouse tobmy garden.

Ask a Question