Striped cucumber beetles and squash bugs !!

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Things are going well in the vegetable garden and everything looks great - BUT - I know that it is not going to last because I can see the squash bugs and the cucumber beetles at the base of my zucchini plants and acorn squash. Any good ideas for controlling these monsters?

Second question - does soil type have an effect on these pests? The soil where I have my garden is a well drained, light shale type. I am constantly trying to amend it with organic matter. I am getting the idea that perhaps these insects that attack the root systems of the plants find the lighter soil easier to drill into and therefore easier to get at the tender parts of the the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Also, if you have those, which are horrible because of the wilt they transmit, you are also very likely to have one or more very tiny flies, gnats, or mites which can host biological pathogens as well as generally chew things up. I mainly have to use bifenthrin because of the incredible bug pressure we get here. All the lists below are for your cucurbits.

white flies : acetamiprid, bifenthrin(3 days), imadocloprid(21days), insecticidal soap, parrafinic oil, pyrethrin. All are 0 preharvest days save those I indicated. This is from my Alabama extension office.

cucumber beetles and squash bugs: acetamiprid, bifentrin (3), carbaryl (sevin, 3), esfenvalerate (3), imidacloprid(21), neem oil, parrafinic oil.

Spider Mites: insecticidal soap, malathion (3), natural oil blend like "aramite", parrafinic oil.

Aphids: acetamiprid, bifenthrin(3), esfenvalerate(3), imidacloprid(21), insectacidal soap, malathion (3), neem, permethrin.

And finally my nemisis,

Squash vine borer: bifenthrin (3), esfenvalerate (3)

I am sure there are also bioogical controls to consider, But I will leave that to others to explain.

Last edited:

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is so nice to receive these replies. Thank you.

Chuck - I found the eggs first time just today and will be looking for them from here on out. I removed one of the leaves that had a lot of eggs on it. I tried to squish them off on another leaf. How do you take care of this?

DirtMechanic - Thank you for the lists. I am reluctant to use the sevin on my vegetables (zucchini and squash) but I have used it on my pumpkins which we do not intend to use for eating. It did rid me of the cucumber beetles but not the squash bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is so nice to receive these replies. Thank you.

Chuck - I found the eggs first time just today and will be looking for them from here on out. I removed one of the leaves that had a lot of eggs on it. I tried to squish them off on another leaf. How do you take care of this?

DirtMechanic - Thank you for the lists. I am reluctant to use the sevin on my vegetables (zucchini and squash) but I have used it on my pumpkins which we do not intend to use for eating. It did rid me of the cucumber beetles but not the squash bugs.
When I find eggs I just smash them with my thumb. Or you can completely cover them with horticultural oil or Neem oil to smother them. Please don't ever remove a leaf unless it is diseased. The best all around insecticide is spinosad based. It isn't one of those chemical poisons. It's organic and completely harmless to people and pets. You can also harvest on day of use. Stink bugs/squash bugs are difficult to kill with anything. Getting rid of eggs is the secret. If you ever have the misfortune to have squash vine borer Dipel Dust is best unless the borer is already inside the stalk and then a hypodermic needle and Bt is the best remedy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
When I find eggs I just smash them with my thumb. Or you can completely cover them with horticultural oil or Neem oil to smother them. Please don't ever remove a leaf unless it is diseased. The best all around insecticide is spinosad based. It isn't one of those chemical poisons. It's organic and completely harmless to people and pets. You can also harvest on day of use. Stink bugs/squash bugs are difficult to kill with anything. Getting rid of eggs is the secret. If you ever have the misfortune to have squash vine borer Dipel Dust is best unless the borer is already inside the stalk and then a hypodermic needle and Bt is the best remedy.

I always learn something here. Thank you @Chuck

Ask a Question