What's wrong with my cucumber plant? :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
And how can I treat it? Disclaimer: I'm a total newbie trying to grow some fruit/veg/herbs in containers on my veranda!

My cherry tomatoes, cucumber and parsley all started getting white powdery patches over the leaves and stems, and the leaves started yellowing and dying. So at the advice of my local garden centre I sprayed them with some copper sulphate spray, and the toms and parsley both improved and are now fine!

The cucumber, however, did not. It looks like this:

tNaQVA9.jpg

The leaves at the bottom are worst affected. Higher up they're just fine. Any ideas?? I don't want my cucumber plant to die!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And how can I treat it? Disclaimer: I'm a total newbie trying to grow some fruit/veg/herbs in containers on my veranda!

My cherry tomatoes, cucumber and parsley all started getting white powdery patches over the leaves and stems, and the leaves started yellowing and dying. So at the advice of my local garden centre I sprayed them with some copper sulphate spray, and the toms and parsley both improved and are now fine!

The cucumber, however, did not. It looks like this:

tNaQVA9.jpg

The leaves at the bottom are worst affected. Higher up they're just fine. Any ideas?? I don't want my cucumber plant to die!
Looks like powdery mildew is trying to take hold. Spray with copper sulfate again or use 2 tablespoons baking soda and a squirt of dishsoap per gallon of water. Spray entire plant every 7 days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Old growth on cucumbers is relatively normal to look like that. Looks pretty normal to me. Treating it with powdery mildew prevention is perfectly fine though seeing as they all usually succumb to it in the long run.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I applied Epsom Salt to the soil and it seems to be helping. Cucumbers should be grown in partial sunlight.
This thread is almost 3 years old and the cucumbers in question are nothing but a distant memory. Epsom salts has nothing to do with downy or powdery mildew and cucumbers like all of the sun they can get

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Google it, Chuck
Google what? I've been growing cucs very successfully for over 60 years. If you are referring to the use of epsom salts with baking soda the epsom salts does seem to help with photosynthesis but does nothing for the mildew itself. Growing cucs in partial sun is not a good idea especially in northern latitudes. I am in South Central Texas and I have VERY intense sunlight and all cucurbits do very very well in direct all day sun with temps in the high 90's-low 100's. Epsom salts is great for many things, just not with preventing or curing mildews or any fungal problems in plants. Epsom salts as a soil drench can be of great benefit in balancing out the calcium and magnesium in soils, making both available to the plant.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's also possible that the plant is lacking in proper nutrients. The epsom salt contains the nutrients needed.
Nutrients also have nothing to do with mildew. Mildews are caused by spores either splashing up onto the leaves during rain or by overhead watering. Or by wind blown means.
It's also possible that the plant is lacking in proper nutrients. The epsom salt contains the nutrients needed.
Epsom salts only contain sulfur and magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can lead to abnormal fruit and production. Sulfur deficiency leads to limited photosynthesis, limited protein production and vitamin shortage. Only very small amounts of sulfur are needed in plant growth. Magnesium is needed in greater amounts.

Ask a Question