Japanese Red Maple issues

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
hi! I bought my first red maple three months ago. So I'm quite a newbie.
At first the leaves were all green instead of red. This was at the time of the buy, but the saleswoman had said they will turn red.
Eventually they all fell down and slowly new, red leaves started to grow but... something went wrong in the process. I enclosed the pictures. The maple has enough water and exposure to the sun... but the pictures indicate something else is wrong.. should I cut down some of the branches?
Thanks for any kind of advice

Regards
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
, Gašper

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What is your temperature in your country please? It could be too hot or wind scorch. Is the air very dry? They enjoy morning sun and a cool feet. They are quite tough, so don't worry too much.

Is there any retained heat from the concrete floor please? Perhaps a good idea to put it on a grass floor. The retained heat from the concrete might be released at night, making it too hot for the plant. Remember these plants like a cool base.

You could take a pic and ask the supplier and see what advice he / she can offer!

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
This summer is always between 25 - 30°C in the afternoon. The tree has the morning sun, yes and air is often dry, since we're in the middle of the summer. And yes, the retained heat from close surfaces obviously is an issue, since we live in a multi-family house and there's no nearby trees or parks that could offer some relief at night

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you have more than one pot, you can cushion the acer with other plants by clustering together. The leaves seem to be badly wind/heat scorched. I often have the same problem with mine facing the west.

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Mine is oriented to the south, but it is exposed to the sun from the early morning to around 3 pm. Maybe I should reposition it more to the corner, when it will be directly exposed to around 12 - 1 pm only. We don' have any other plants on the balcony to cluster it, unfortunately.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Acer is actually quite tough. But you can trim the inward growing bits to improve the air circulation. Inward growing branches and cross branches can be pruned.

Acer palmatum is best pruned when fully dormant (November to January), as maples bleed sap from pruning cuts at other times, weakening the tree. However,pruning is still best kept to a minimum as the most graceful shape comes from a tree that has been allowed to develop fairly naturally.
Japanese maple/RHS Gardening
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=126

Hope it is useful!

Ask a Question