Japanese Maple Leaf Problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an approximately thirty year old Japanese Maple that has been doing great all year, until now. We have had excessive rains in the DC area and I'm starting to see a lot of spotting on the leaves and already see a number dropping. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attached are a few photos. If more would be helpful, I'd be happy to get more samples.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_0178.png
IMG_0177.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The longest day of the year was in June. The mid point of this second half is in one week. It is called the Autumnal Equinox. Your trees are aware of this date even if you are not. Here, the fall drop started some weeks ago. Do not forget to factor in the normal cycles of plants in your calculations. We have some red japanese maples in the front yard but I do not do anything with them They are in an understory sunlight in a dense clay alkaline soil. Here is a link on how to hurt them.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are in an understory sunlight in a dense clay alkaline soil. Here is a link on how to hurt them.

o_O I thought you have fallen into my bad habit of forgetting to type in negative! Usually, we are taught how NOT to hurt them.

The the OP, don't worry too much, acers are much tougher than you think! Don't over-winter and shelter from strong wind or sun!

Ask a Question