FINALLY...A Japanese maple sprouted....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After having the seeds in the moist medium (in a plastic baggie) in the fridge for around 2 months, then putting them in indirect sun for a couple of weeks.........we were blessed with one of the seeds coming out to play.
20181019_081509.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well done! If you sow more more outdoors and let nature stratify them, you might have more next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we have a huge Japanese Maple in our garden. Often as I am roaming around I spot a baby from it, and dig it up, and pot it. putting it aside to a safe place. I have given away several to folks over the years. right now have about 5 in pots on the side all of which about 3 foot tall. no clue what to do with them. someone will appear and I can give them one. certain I have missed some babies, but that is life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Around here they are extremely expensive at the nurseries......so you are gifting others, BIG-TIME. This one is a variety with feather-looking leaves.......my Sweetheart's favorite.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, you can easily get one finely palmated for under £5. It's now being churned out industrial scale. If your country has enough gardeners, the demand will make it cheap. Also, wait till gc reduce them and you can always get one at a good price. Asda Walmart sell them as well Under a tenner and you can have a decent plant.

But nothing beat the joy of seeing the seedling unfurling its first pair of true leaves which resemble it's mother plant. Have the feeling that it is not a finely palmated one though. Could be a garnet. But if you have enough seeds, you can easily have one germinating. How many seeds have you got there please? Remember only rain water and don't over water it please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in the UK, you can easily get one finely palmated for under £5. It's now being churned out industrial scale. If your country has enough gardeners, the demand will make it cheap. Also, wait till gc reduce them and you can always get one at a good price. Asda Walmart sell them as well Under a tenner and you can have a decent plant.

But nothing beat the joy of seeing the seedling unfurling its first pair of true leaves which resemble it's mother plant. Have the feeling that it is not a finely palmated one though. Could be a garnet. But if you have enough seeds, you can easily have one germinating. How many seeds have you got there please? Remember only rain water and don't over water it please!
Thanks for the tips (extremely important ones)......Bought the seeds online. Very few in the order. Only this one germinated......so, it IS going be babied, for sure. A decent sized one (3' +) here, at the nurseries run upwards to $85 (£65).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

@alp your knowledge of plants absolutely slays me. And the detailed conversations you carry on with others also so knowledgeable are above my head!

@David from Dothan does that tree remind you somewhat of a dogwood? That dogwood disease we have has killed so many around here that I just had an idea....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@alp your knowledge of plants absolutely slays me. And the detailed conversations you carry on with others also so knowledgeable are above my head!

@David from Dothan does that tree remind you somewhat of a dogwood? That dogwood disease we have has killed so many around here that I just had an idea....
It does have a dogwood-on-steroids structure. I don't think there is a single dogwood in our area (and there are hundreds) that does not have the disease. We have lost a couple, maybe 3, in the last 3 years.

Ask a Question