Around the county of Kent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We went up from Manston (which should still be an airport - proper) My mate could have taken the controls if she wanted to, and had that opportunity, but she decided she would rather just look at the view.
An expensive hobby, but definitely doable. I think you have to put in several hour flying if you want to obtain your licence ..

On a different birthday a few years ago we took the same mate to Lydd airport and went up in an eight seater plane....... it all happens in Kent. There is a ballooning place nearby too, as well as a glider club !:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What a great experience! Sounds like it's a good place to live. I've never been ballooning but I'd love to give it a try one day.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reculver towers on the North coast.

Some Roman bricks re used from an earlier building...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so beautiful - the last photo in particular is stunning! Just looked it up and it sounds like an interesting place to visit :)

This was the site of one of the earliest Roman forts built against Saxon raids on the 'Saxon Shore'. It later became the site of an Anglo-Saxon monastery before becoming the parish church for Reculver. The tall towers were built in a remodelling of the church in the 12th century.

Much of the site has been lost to coastal erosion, but alongside the twin towers are the ruined remains of the early Roman fort.

Source: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/reculver-towers-and-roman-fort/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love seeing old flint buildings, used to see a lot of them in Dorset but it's not common here in the North West. I still get to see them when I visit my grandma in Norfolk though.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What wonderful pictures and thanks everyone for sharing them. :)

There's no better country in the world than England which is easy to forget whilst the media search out every little bit of bad news to knock it. Here in Yorkshire I moan about our poor climate but I love living here; there are those born in Yorkshire nd those who wish they were born in Yorkshire. I've never been on a plane and only ever been abroad twice; once to Scotland where I'll never visit again the rain came down like pencils and once to Wales. Bron and I are home lovers not feeling the need to run away. We enjoy panoramic views across the valley and can be in wonderful countryside in minutes. Why there is so much badness all around us mystifies me when we live in such a beautiful country.

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
the rain came down like pencils and once to Wales

I lived in Wales for 5 years :eek:

Here's a bit of Welsh poetry...

Rythmn of the seasons, the wind and the rain.
Dryness and heat, and then the wind again.
Always the wind, and rain,
Which is the sadness we ascribe to nature who feels nothing...
:eek::eek::eek::giggle:

Ask a Question