Very low hedge around tree trunks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I saw a video of a cute puppy running in a yard and as the camera panned around a broad hedge used to obscure the dead zone under a massive tree was brought into view. The plant was fairly stiff because the puppy laid atop it and it reminded be of a boxwood, but it was 12 to 18" tall, trimmed flat across 15 or so feet with vertically trimmed sides. Any ideas about a semi shade shrub I might use to the same purpose here in 8a central Alabama? We have some boxwood under the crepe myrtles so they grow well her in the clay and shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have buxus growing in semi-shade in our back garden, it seems pretty happy. Is there a reason you want something different to buxus? There's a type of holly called Ilex Crenata which is similar to buxus, might be a good option for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I am trying to plan away from boxwood blight. I hear it is becoming prolific and there is no cure.

There is a cure for Box Blight, but I believe that the chemicals used are only available to professional gardeners. Having said that, personally, I try to avoid using chemicals in the garden nowadays.

As regards Ilex Crenata. One of the big mistakes I made in my garden was to plant this instead of Box. They tended to die off at random. My suspicion is that they need soil with a low pH and a relatively sheltered spot.

As an alternative, how about Euonymus? Emerald'n'Gold perhaps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I read this excerpt from a reasonable writer;

"Sadly, boxwood blight cannot be completely eradicated from a landscape with fungicides, but fungicides that contain chlorothalonil or tebuconazole can be used to protect existing plants."

I take this as a simple when it happens scenerio.

I also read that there are many varieties of buxus, many of which, maybe most of which, are not suspect and that a shift from the susceptible varieties may have already occured in the sales channel and that if not, I can order other varieties from a nursery.

We have euonymus in that area already but they catch some late western sun. It is not a bad idea at all so thank you, unfortunately this is a deeply shaded area that I am trying to reveal to the sun but it is currently protected by the political authority of the house. Since the boxwoods survive there, could you tell me how much shade I could get away with planting euonymus? In the woods near the house it seemed to struggle, though it did not die. I took it that the variegated leaves need a more intense sun than a fully green leaf.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
DM, what about a Juniper? There are several varieties that tolerate pruning/ shaping well. I’m not sure what variety will take your summer heat but a quick trip to a local nursery could answer that question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
...We have euonymus in that area already but they catch some late western sun…

... could you tell me how much shade I could get away with planting euonymus? In the woods near the house it seemed to struggle, though it did not die. I took it that the variegated leaves need a more intense sun than a fully green leaf.

I'll answer that as best I can by posting this old photo from my garden...

006_6 (6).JPG

The camera is pointing roughly to the west, and the photo was taken about 2pm. As can be seen, they are in shade created by the tall conifer hedge to the left of the photo. There is also shade created by the Dogwood hedge that is at the top of the photo and runs south to north.

Hope this is of some help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'll answer that as best I can by posting this old photo from my garden...

View attachment 47285

The camera is pointing roughly to the west, and the photo was taken about 2pm. As can be seen, they are in shade created by the tall conifer hedge to the left of the photo. There is also shade created by the Dogwood hedge that is at the top of the photo and runs south to north.

Hope this is of some help.

Yep.. no way the plants are that exposed except when the leaves drop in the fall. Excellent hedgery btw!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
DM, what about a Juniper? There are several varieties that tolerate pruning/ shaping well. I’m not sure what variety will take your summer heat but a quick trip to a local nursery could answer that question.
I had not considered juniper. I have seen the low lying (@alp?) varities. It would produce a natural look, which we have in abundance so it might fit right in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The only problem with juniper, other than it being spikey, is the fact that they die off in the middle. How about yew?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I read this excerpt from a reasonable writer;

"Sadly, boxwood blight cannot be completely eradicated from a landscape with fungicides, but fungicides that contain chlorothalonil or tebuconazole can be used to protect existing plants."

I take this as a simple when it happens scenerio.

I also read that there are many varieties of buxus, many of which, maybe most of which, are not suspect and that a shift from the susceptible varieties may have already occured in the sales channel and that if not, I can order other varieties from a nursery.

We have euonymus in that area already but they catch some late western sun. It is not a bad idea at all so thank you, unfortunately this is a deeply shaded area that I am trying to reveal to the sun but it is currently protected by the political authority of the house. Since the boxwoods survive there, could you tell me how much shade I could get away with planting euonymus? In the woods near the house it seemed to struggle, though it did not die. I took it that the variegated leaves need a more intense sun than a fully green leaf.
Planting Euonymus is OK but use the less variegated forms in shade as the highly colored ones do need full sun to keep their color.

Ask a Question