Mammoth Sunflowers Blooming While Very Small?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I've decided to try my hand at growing mammoth sunflowers, and despite squirrels claiming two, they're doing quite nicely. However, I was under the impression that they only bloomed once they're mature. My tallest plant is a little under two feet tall, and my shortest is around eight inches, but they're all beginning to bloom. I'm afraid that either they'll waste all their growing energy and die, or that I was maybe sold a variety that isn't mammoth? I'm sorry if this is totally normal and I sound silly, but this is my first successful try at growing sunflowers and I'm very invested, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sunflowers like a lot of root space - are they in containers or in the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah ok so root space probably isn't a problem. Like @Chuck says, now isn't a great time to be growing sunflowers (it's past their season) so that may well be the reason here.

By the way, it's very useful to add your location / hardiness zone to your profile so that people know where in the world you are. You can add it by clicking on your name at the top of the page and going to 'Personal Details'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hold onto any seeds you may have, and plant them for next year. Sunflowers are a such a beautiful addition to the garden, so don't get discourage and try again, next spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love a field of sunflowers, nothing is prettier really. I tried to grow them once from seed, but no dice! I never have good luck growing anything from seed. The best I will find is little shoots, which never materialize into something big. If I could, I would grow everything from seed because it is must cheaper and a great way to save money! Glad you will have some lovely sunflowers!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the sound of mammoth sunflowers. I have always like the look of sunflowers, and I am pretty sure that they were given this name for a good reason. They really have a way of brightening things up, in my experience at least. I hope that everything goes well for you and they come through.

Ask a Question