Sunflowers everywhere

Reaction score
We have been in a pretty significant drought here in California and recently just got our first real rain storm in years, 2 inches. yesterday I noticed my front yard, which is dryscaped with rock, had at least 15 little shoots coming up. On closer inspection I noticed they were sunflower sprouts! There could only be one real explanation for this...blue jays. We have a couple of bird feeders around the yard that have black sunflower seeds in the mix, and they just love to hide food anywhere and everywhere. Looks like we're going to have an interesting front yard this year.

I wonder what else I could get them to plant for me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
That sounds amazing! Sunflowers are not very common here in the Philippines. A university plants them every April to mark the end of the school year, and that is the only time when I can get to appreciate their beauty. Take pictures of your sunflower garden please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I tried to do sunflower this year, they did not come up. I figured the ground was to clay like for them. In hindsight I guess it is possible something ate the seeds. This year I will try again but I will start the plant indoors first. I like the smaller varieties they have now, the colors are just wonderful. Always reminds me of the fall. I like when the flower turns to follow the sun, that's pretty neat.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Keep your eye out for Marijuanna plants, the seed is quite common in birdseed mixes. Don't want to get busted for something thats self sown :eek:

Ask a Question