A Flower with very different names

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kind of like how mountain lions are also pumas and cougars. It's unsurprising that some flowers have multiple names. I grew up with bachelor buttons as my favorite little flower because they were blue, a real blue not a dark purple most flowers are. But I moved and now most packets I see call them cornflowers, which annoys me because they don't look like corn and corn doesn't have a flower. I only learned that they originally grew in-between the rows of corn in Europe, so it's more a reference to where you found them than what they look like. I was wondering if you know of any other plants that have very different common names?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Well, here in Japan I have had to learn the Japanese names for everything!

For instance though...Ajisai is Hydrangeas
Wasurenagusa are forget-me-nots
Ayame is iris...

The list goes on! So that has been tough for me, being a foreigner living in Japan right now - it was sometimes hard to get across what I was looking for at the local plant stores!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've also seen bachlor buttons sold a dwarf dianthis , proper family but i have some reservations as to the name . No biggie though , as they say a rose by any other name

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Sneezeweed
Helenium is an orange, yellow daisy-wheel style flowers. The name comes from its old use as a snuff/medically used to cause sneezing to expel evil spirits! “Bless You”

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The same common name can also be different plants,
Marigolds, English or Pot are calendula officinalis
But there are several different tagetes, also called 'Marigolds', they have varying common names too
African American or Mexican marigolds , tagetes erecta; there are also French marigolds tagetes patula, and tagetes tanuifolia, signet marigolds.

Ask a Question