Adding soil around tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
After removing our garden pond the pictured Bald Cypress needs soil from below ground up to grown level is gone. I plan on having a dry set stone wall surround one half of the tree. Soil will be put behind the wall up to the area surrounding one half of the tree. I need to know how far out the soil should extend? Please see the attached photo.

Thanks

IMG_2475.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I understand correctly, the only thing to worry about is making sure that the root flare continues to be exposed. The further out from the trunk the soil extends the better because what will eventually happen is that the roots will wind up growing into and through the rock retaining wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
If I understand correctly, the only thing to worry about is making sure that the root flare continues to be exposed. The further out from the trunk the soil extends the better because what will eventually happen is that the roots will wind up growing into and through the rock retaining wall.

Thank you Chuck.
Could give me an idea about how far the dirt should extend from the tree? I'm asking so I'll know where to build the dry stone wall. The wall will essentially be set level with the low level lawn. (base of the dry set stones will actually be about 4 to 6 inches below ground).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck.
Could give me an idea about how far the dirt should extend from the tree? I'm asking so I'll know where to build the dry stone wall. The wall will essentially be set level with the low level lawn. (base of the dry set stones will actually be about 4 to 6 inches below ground).
I am talking long term here. A bald cypress will, in time, have huge roots at the base of the tree which are called knees. In fact you can see the beginnings of these knees forming in the picture. I would guess that if you had 3 feet of soil extending out from the trunk your retaining wall would last 25-30 yrs before the base of the knees and their roots destroyed the retaining wall. Estimating the trees growth by the rate of growth in my area I would estimate the distance as 1 foot of soil distance from the trunk per every 10 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What happens if you cover the base of the tree with dirt? Will that eventually damage the tree or will those knees continue outward?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What happens if you cover the base of the tree with dirt? Will that eventually damage the tree or will those knees continue outward?
Never ever cover the root flare of a tree. It will lead to early death. The knees on a bald cypress will continue to grow outward no matter what you do. Google root flare

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Uh oh.... I guess I need to fix my cypress. I filled sand around it and planted. :eek::(
Yikes I am so glad I read this! Thanks Chuck. So what do people do when they do the plantings around the base of trees? Just plant between the roots? Can they lightly cover with mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I am talking long term here. A bald cypress will, in time, have huge roots at the base of the tree which are called knees. In fact you can see the beginnings of these knees forming in the picture. I would guess that if you had 3 feet of soil extending out from the trunk your retaining wall would last 25-30 yrs before the base of the knees and their roots destroyed the retaining wall. Estimating the trees growth by the rate of growth in my area I would estimate the distance as 1 foot of soil distance from the trunk per every 10 years.

Thanks for the information Chuck. We love how the knees are showing from both trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Uh oh.... I guess I need to fix my cypress. I filled sand around it and planted. :eek::(
Yikes I am so glad I read this! Thanks Chuck. So what do people do when they do the plantings around the base of trees? Just plant between the roots? Can they lightly cover with mulch?
There are two types of trees that can be bought. Bare root trees and containerized trees. With bare root trees you dig the hole as deep as the roots system is long and no deeper. The root system where it joins the trunk is called the root flare. Always have the flare at or slightly above soil level when finished planting and remember that a freshly planted bare root tree will settle slightly.
On a containerized tree check the root flare before planting. Many tree growers are lax in their quality control and plant the tree too deep in the container. If the root flare isn't showing remove as much soil as is required to see it and then dig your hole to the required depth and no deeper. A containerized tree usually will not settle.
As for mulch a good thick layer is great but do not allow the mulch to build up around the flare or trunk, in fact it is better to not have any mulch within a couple of inches of the flare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
There are two types of trees that can be bought. Bare root trees and containerized trees. With bare root trees you dig the hole as deep as the roots system is long and no deeper. The root system where it joins the trunk is called the root flare. Always have the flare at or slightly above soil level when finished planting and remember that a freshly planted bare root tree will settle slightly.
On a containerized tree check the root flare before planting. Many tree growers are lax in their quality control and plant the tree too deep in the container. If the root flare isn't showing remove as much soil as is required to see it and then dig your hole to the required depth and no deeper. A containerized tree usually will not settle.
As for mulch a good thick layer is great but do not allow the mulch to build up around the flare or trunk, in fact it is better to not have any mulch within a couple of inches of the flare.

Good post. In fact, at one time there was too much soil/mulch around that tree. Both were container bought. We bought them in my wife's Louisiana home town. Each were only 6" high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for this thread Big Lou and all the info Chuck, I will redo that planter around my trees ASAP.

Ask a Question