Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your help @MaryMary. (y) Somehow, I can't see my son wanting to bottle feed six babies so it's handy to know about the wildlife refuge, I'll pass that onto him. He moved out of Columbus last year but isn't living to far away as his work is there.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for your help @MaryMary. (y) Somehow, I can't see my son wanting to bottle feed six babies so it's handy to know about the wildlife refuge, I'll pass that onto him. He moved out of Columbus last year but isn't living to far away as his work is there.

:) Took an injured frog there once.

Wildlife Rescue Resources
Ohio Wildlife Center - (614) 793-9453

Local rehabilitation center for birds and mammals located north of Shawnee Hills in Dublin, OH.

Reaction score
Here is the baby monkey though looked cute was quite destructive. It teased me the whole day staring at me while plucking petals and dropping them down and doing other nasty things. It was not easy to chase it away. If not for those nasty habits I would have loved to keep it as a pet.

dsc04322-jpg.7087
Aren't they just amazing? We get them here too. Fortunately, they don't come too close to the house, though they do get close enough to help themselves to big bunches of bananas. The vast majority where I live are Macaques, though we have seen the occasional gibbon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@roadrunner WOW you have flowers already! Awwwwwwh, what cutie pies:love:, looking healthy too(y) Possible Gulf Fritillaries, but at this instar, possible a dozen other butterflies as well. When they are a bit more mature, maybe they will take on some identifying features. Good photos, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@roadrunner WOW you have flowers already! Awwwwwwh, what cutie pies:love:, looking healthy too(y) Possible Gulf Fritillaries, but at this instar, possible a dozen other butterflies as well. When they are a bit more mature, maybe they will take on some identifying features. Good photos, too.
I just watched two of them laying eggs on the plant; I was surprised to see that they lay the eggs on the top of the leaves; I expected to see them lay them underneath, like the monarch. But what really surprised me is that one of them laid an egg on the wooden trellis that came with the plant:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@roadrunner do you know what exactly laid the eggs? What kind of butterfly? You are getting a lot of exposure in a short period of time:) The butterflies know that the leaves under or top side are heavily predated, so you can expect to find eggs on twinning tendrils, stems, and even the trellis. You will discover as you go along that bflies and caterpillars have all sorts of subtle ways to assure the survival of their species, it is a DNA thing:D Congratulations! You are doing so great. What a difference one little vine can make:eek: they have been waiting for you:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I attempted to get pictures of all the swallowtail butterflies in my yard (I've never seen so many in my yard as I'm seeing this year), but they seem not to land very often and when they do land it's for a very short time. I'm afraid if I were to just snap a picture of them in haste, it would just look like another bigfoot picture and you all would say I'm misidentifying them:D:LOL:

I believe they are all being attracted to my numerous fennel I'm growing this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I attempted to get pictures of all the swallowtail butterflies in my yard (I've never seen so many in my yard as I'm seeing this year), but they seem not to land very often and when they do land it's for a very short time. I'm afraid if I were to just snap a picture of them in haste, it would just look like another bigfoot picture and you all would say I'm misidentifying them:D:LOL:

I believe they are all being attracted to my numerous fennel I'm growing this year.
Ha, I finally got a picture of the elusive swallowtail; not the best pic, but it was moving very fast and this was all I could get before it started doing its non-stop rounds around my yard

And this is the plants (one of them) that I think attracts so many of these butterflies this year.

Ask a Question