Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:LOL:oh bravo, what do you think? black swallowtails? or does it look like you have a variety of different species? all the swallowtails are difficult to photograph because they move their wings very fast and often even when feeding. You might want to take a look at the fennel to see if they are leaving eggs (also dill, common rue). Your garden looks like butterfly heaven. The one on the trailing lantana would be feeding only, at least for the moment. Congratulations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I also have two Rue plants, but I didn't know they were a host plant...good to know. Yes the swallowtail was feeding and if you look closely the wings are a little blurred, because the wings were in constant motion. If I waited five seconds for it to stop I would have missed the shoot. I just had to zoom in and shot. I do have other varieties of swallowtail, I know this because of the markings, but that was the only pic I could get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Mini pterodactyl in currant bushes.

IMG_5194.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Larisa he looks very snug in there, is there just the one?:) I've been meaning to ask you what kind of animals are in your forest, in addition to ants. Some how i am not surprised there are pterodactyls:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Larisa he looks very snug in there, is there just the one?:) I've been meaning to ask you what kind of animals are in your forest, in addition to ants.

Three chicks in one nest.:)
Our forest is a reserve. This means that hunting is prohibited there. Therefore, there live moose, deer, hares, foxes, wild boars, hedgehogs, martens, squirrels ...
However, a few kilometers away from us is a hunting base for "special" hunters. They bring animals specially for them. It's terrible, of course. But I do not like hunting for fun.
Sometimes animals escape from them to us. Two years ago it was a pack of wolves.:cool:
I do not know where the wolves left later.o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
The cold drove all the reptiles from the forest to my garden. They are everywhere! In the afternoon they sit in the sun and look at us. It's funny, but when I pass by, they all raise their heads. Fortunately, they are not dangerous.:D

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tjohn, isn't it fun to weed the garden with all those beady little eyes watching your every move? Our ladies expect a treat every time I go to the garden--a damaged tomato, a handful of weeds, but no cucumber, thank you very much!
View attachment 23435
OOOOHH!! I only have five girls, I can't imagine the guilt if I had that many eyes watching !!!!!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Full disclosure: This is not my garden, nor did I take these pictures. I've waffled over posting them for this reason. But they are so cool, I hope you will forgive me. :D

My sister got a visit from a snapping turtle.

Resized952017060795085734(1).jpg

She was looking for a place to lay her eggs!!

Resized952017060795071240.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, I'm so glad you did post those pictures! Marvelous, and something few people have seen. Kudos to your sister for grabbing the camera.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
can't top anyone, but we have the grandog as a frequent guest.
She likes to walk the wall. lol

Attachments

• DSCF3622.JPG
    DSCF3622.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
mg guy, a wall-walking dog is definitely an animal in the garden!
We had a cat that would delicately pick her way along the fence rail, then jump down and expect a treat for her performance.

Ask a Question