Animals in your garden

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had a nest of Shrews in my caravan back in the summer, the babies were crawling all over me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Larisa I also have those hawk moths and they do look like hummingbirds at first glance. They also have very cool looking eye-shine at night when you point a flashlight at them.

That looks like a nighttime shot, which is when I see them in my garden, they are attracted to the 4o'clock plants which have flowers that are very fragrant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I hope Larisa's bunny does not get a knot in his ears!!!

Well I do not know..... :cool: :sneaky:

I also have those hawk moths and they do look like hummingbirds at first glance. They also have very cool looking eye-shine at night when you point a flashlight at them.

Interesting idea with a flashlight! It is necessary to see it. Just evening I walk in the garden without a flashlight. Because there are lights on the solar battery. But the most important thing - I like to watch the fireflies in the grass. They are many and they are lit in green.
1 - копия.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is a legless lizard (or glass lizard) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_lizard

They look like snakes, but people that study these things, swear it's a lizard. Who am I to say otherwise...:D

This was in my largest patch of Spiderwort plants, so it was tough to get a pic of its entire body. They love deep mulch and stay in there most of the day, but it rained a lot last night and much of today, so he was out and about, drying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a house finch. (Probably, there are many subspecies. Definitely a finch though.)
They love seeds, I hang thistle socks year around and get quite a variety of finches.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm cheating here, not my garden but my son's in Ohio. He'd started work on his vegetable patch today and unearthed six Leverets, luckily they survived his spade unscathed. He's had a scout on the internet to see how to look after them in case the mother abandons them, but has anyone here any experience and advice on Hare's please?

000.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Sheal, my dad ran over a nest with the lawn mower when I was a girl. :cry::cry: All but one died. He brought me the survivor. I bottle-fed it with cow's milk, and it survived. If I remember correctly, I used a baby bottle, and heated the milk slightly, just like you would a human baby.

:confused: I think "Peter" was a little older, though.

I remember you saying that your son lives in Columbus, and there is a wildlife rescue/refuge there, should it come to it. (y)

Ask a Question