Action or wiggle hoe for weeding

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought an 'Action Hoe for weeding my garden. It is also known by 'loop hoe, wiggle hoe or weeder hoe. It works by both push and pull to remove weeds in the rows by a simple light push and pull motion. I use mine to work the row valleys and keep from destroying my corn seedlings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I bought an 'Action Hoe for weeding my garden. It is also known by 'loop hoe, wiggle hoe or weeder hoe. It works by both push and pull to remove weeds in the rows by a simple light push and pull motion. I use mine to work the row valleys and keep from destroying my corn seedlings.
We call them a "stirrup" hoe hoe here as the rounded shape of the blade resembles the foot stirrup on a horse saddle.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The handle that came on my stirrup hoe years ago was a flimsy, worthless, weak piece of wood that I immediately replaced with a handle I made from the rail of a chain link fence with a slight appropriate bend added to the rail for leverage.

This one will take whatever abuse you can heap on it and still get weeds. It is particularly adept at loosening soil around the base of onion bulbs which is important for growing large bulbs.

onion hoe.JPG

I also know it as a stirrup hoe. Learn how to keep it sharp, if it's dull it's borderline useless.
What is your preferred technique for sharpening it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A good file is one of the best sharpening tools. I have several wrapped in oiled paper. My grandfather taught me the proper technique. Never draw the file on a backward stroke and go across the threads.

I’m a retired machinist from Lockheed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The handle that came on my stirrup hoe years ago was a flimsy, worthless, weak piece of wood that I immediately replaced with a handle I made from the rail of a chain link fence with a slight appropriate bend added to the rail for leverage.

This one will take whatever abuse you can heap on it and still get weeds. It is particularly adept at loosening soil around the base of onion bulbs which is important for growing large bulbs.

View attachment 102795

What is your preferred technique for sharpening it?
I want to know if you have an angle to that question?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A good file is one of the best sharpening tools. I have several wrapped in oiled paper. My grandfather taught me the proper technique. Never draw the file on a backward stroke and go across the threads.

I’m a retired machinist from Lockheed.
I stopped the subtle tactics and learned to use sandpapers. I love them on flap discs but as of yet have not found a slow rpm grinder that would be really useful on those big, manly, knifelike edges.

Ask a Question