Allergic Reactions vs Heavy Duty Gloves

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife developed a serious allergy last week after spending the best part of a sunny afternoon weeding in the garden and clearing a lot of unwanted growth. What started as a few tiny clusters of white spots on the palms of her hands, very quickly developed in to an all-out rash, which started to spread past her wrists up up her forearms within hours.

We live in the tropics and as there is an abundance of plant species here, it’s going to take some time to be able to narrow down the problem. All I’ve been able to do in the meantime is find and order a decent pair of strong gloves online (https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/garden-gloves-lot-sale) as these are the kind of things you just can’t buy here. She’s tried creams, lotions, cooling powders, anti-histamines and everything we could think of, but nothing has helped. In this case, time and zero exposure has been the only healer, taking around 5 or 6 days to clear up.

I never considered gloves to be a such a useful tool, but in our case, with the amount of work we’ve got ahead of us, they’ve been invaluable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hatch, I was always a very "hands in the dirt" sort of gardener, but since moving to Texas I've learned the value of wearing gloves--a goatskin pair for pulling prickly weeds, and a pair with a rubber-like palm and fingers for regular gardening chores.
I do hope the rash goes away quickly, and that the gloves arrive ASAP.

Reaction score
Hi marlingardener,

Thanks for your comment. I never realised how important they are. The rash at the moment has stopped spreading, which can only be a good thing. It's making her crazy though as she just wants to scratch and scratch but she's doing her best not to. I really feel for her. I'd go insane if it were me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hydrocortisone 1% cream is her friend. It'll take the itch out of the rash, and she can use it twice a day for up to a week prior to seeing a doctor.
In the UK that's an over-the-counter medicine which can be cheaply bought from any chemist's (pharmacist's) shop.

I use kitchen-type rubber gloves for jobs requiring dexterity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ouch, your poor wife! I've had swimmers itch, and it was miserable. Cortisone cream helped a little but mainly just had to let it run its course. Hope she's feeling better now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A word of caution. I'm not sure which gloves you are ordering. If it's the ones on the left that are latex, it doesn't state if they are lined or not. Many people get an allergic reaction to prolonged use of latex. Also before removing the gloves, wash them real good so as not to have whatever she is allergic to transferred from the gloves to her hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbissoon29

Latest Threads