Restarting seedlings... Overreaction?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A series of unfortunate events (and mistakes) have lead me to believe it may be best to just start fresh and plant new seeds. Lord knows I have time with the heat in Texas right now. Below is a little description of why I’m thinking I’ll restart:

Light - I had an internet outage and completely forgot my timer was controlled via WiFi. The pepper plants sat in the dark for at least 24 hrs RIGHT after watering them. They all proceeded to turn yellow and never fully regained their green color. Then upon restoring my WiFi socket, it decided to crap out completely (maybe the heat?), causing a second bout of zero light, but this time I had 1-2 day old tomato sprouts which proceeded to stretch and stretch. (I have purchased a mechanical timer…)

Water - I didn’t pack the pepper plants’ cells enough, and it reaches 97 in the garage, so the soil dries out very quickly. I’ve come home multiple times to drooping plants because I was afraid to overwater in the morning, misjudging how quickly it will dry out. I started tomato seedlings in much better packed cells after watching videos and seeing how people give a gentle but firm packing. I feel I have this technique down solid now.

Heat - I think it’s way too hot for comfort in this garage. I have a room where I can put seedlings inside and I’m going to use it. My pepper plants are turning purple from all the stress, and tomato seedlings are following suit.

These poor plants have been put through the wringer… I have at least 1.5 months before things even begin to normalize here. So why not just start fresh with better soil structure (even watering), mechanical timer being extra prepared for when the seeds sprout, and normal room temperature growing space? Am I overreacting?

420E1D60-7C42-448B-933F-2ED4348C85A1.jpeg

85FD3BBC-96B9-4A77-9E5D-2E3742CF50A8.jpeg

1658AA4F-1532-442A-A830-435310DAB587.jpeg

42C99376-8E97-43F0-93CE-898BE3ECABF3.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is hard to say whether you should start over or not. I am just about 75 years old and Texas has NEVER had summer start so soon, had day after day of record heat and so many continuous days above 100F and not enough rain to even settle the dust. I think I would just keep what you have. We really can't tell how long this weather is going to last and IMO starting over will only give you smaller and younger plants when it finally does cool down. So, I think I would just repot if needed and perhaps add another light or two. About the purpling, do the photos show an accurate color of green on your plants? I am more inclined to think it is a nutrient deficiency, probably magnesium, than it is a lighting issue that is causing the purpling although a plants reaction to UV light does sometimes cause this reaction. I would repot the peppers now into 4 or 5 inch pots. On the tomatoes I would start watering them with liquid plant (HastaGrow) @1/2 the rate until the second set of true leaves appear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I actually gave the peppers 1/4 strength miracle gro because I think it has all the micro nutrients needed and trying to keep the seed soil as sterile as possible (though I have been eyeballing that “hasta grow” brand, maybe I’ll give it a shot if you recommended it haha). I thought that fertilizer would keep any nutrient deficiencies at bay. When I bottom water, I do set them outside for convenience while they soak, but they’re never out there longer than 10-15 mins. Repotting the peppers was definitely on my todo list, at least to give them a larger denser grow substrate.

Maybe I won’t restart… but I think id feel better if they were at least in a room temperature environment, id imagine after 95degF few plants would be too happy? Or I’ll just take a chill pill and stick a fan on them… :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here’s the best representation of the color… I’m just not convinced they’re as green as they should be. But I’ve only seen a handful of pepper plants in real life

62BDFB74-9D6F-4561-9A94-3ADF789A1EE6.jpeg

F581BE4E-91E4-4277-BBEB-3BA7610610D4.jpeg

E877F965-A006-4FC8-8BBB-D94AC99885A1.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Miracle Grow is garbage. Get the Medina Hasta Grow. The Hasta Grow isn't totally organic but its close enough. The color of the peppers is wrong. They should be a much darker green. At first I thought it was just nitrogen chlorosis but if you are using MG its everything and the remedy is a little different. Your plants are also suffering from micro nutrient deficiency and macro nutrient deficiency. That purpling is caused by a lack of magnesium and the yellowing by a lack of nitrogen. See how the yellowing is not uniform on a leaf. More than likely that is a lack of iron. Your peppers are plenty big enough to start normal regular fertilizing. They should also be repotted and grown in pots until about mid August or first of Sept or until the weather stays below 92F but, in the mean time fertilize them regularly. I suggest that you start off by mixing about 1/4 cup of of Medina Grow N Green into each 4 or 5 inch container and every 2 weeks fertilize with Medina HastaGrow. I would also Get a bottle of Chelated Iron, follow the mixing directions and use it a couple of times. Once at repotting and again when transplanting. If you are worrying about fungal issues with any of your plants you can sprinkle either horticultural cornmeal or cinnamon onto the soil. I wouldn't really worry about the peppers but the tomatoes still have plenty of time to get damping off disease and the cornmeal or cinnamon should take care of that potential problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Alright I see now! Once again thank you for saving me haha (y)

A little context about the potting mix… historically I’ve had awful fungus gnat problems (followed by damping off in later stages). I did COVER my top layer with cinnamon at the time, but it may have been to late by then. (My soil was Kelloggs potting mixed with that compost sifted). Now I take a generic seed starting mix and sterilize it in the microwave…. This is the best my seedlings have ever looked… and I haven’t seen one fungus gnat! So forgive me for being a little wary of anything other than sterilized peat moss lol. To repot these in a bigger container, I was planning on using the same sterile mix but mixing in some warm castings that have been in my garage and are probably not full oTo repot these in a bigger container, I was planning on using the same sterile mix but mixing in some warm castings that have been in my garage and are probably void of any microbes and hopefully fungus gnat eggs. This is the best solution I have short of just filling pots with pure peat moss and perlite (and now this Medina grow n green).

Oh I also began spraying hydrogen peroxide solution on the soil because I just started seeing a fine layer of white mold or something. I’ve heard good things about that and it should probably be mixed into my routine.

EDIT: ahhh I just saw the Medina is an organic fertilizer… so I’ll need some soil life right? Meaning I can’t just sterilize my potting mix yea? :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I actually gave the peppers 1/4 strength miracle gro because I think it has all the micro nutrients needed and trying to keep the seed soil as sterile as possible (though I have been eyeballing that “hasta grow” brand, maybe I’ll give it a shot if you recommended it haha). I thought that fertilizer would keep any nutrient deficiencies at bay. When I bottom water, I do set them outside for convenience while they soak, but they’re never out there longer than 10-15 mins. Repotting the peppers was definitely on my todo list, at least to give them a larger denser grow substrate.

Maybe I won’t restart… but I think id feel better if they were at least in a room temperature environment, id imagine after 95degF few plants would be too happy? Or I’ll just take a chill pill and stick a fan on them… :LOL:
It would not matter when the leaves get that big- the roots are getting bound and cannot feed properly no matter what magic sauce you feed them. Especially peppers because I swear their roots are 2x the topside greenery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Alright I see now! Once again thank you for saving me haha (y)

A little context about the potting mix… historically I’ve had awful fungus gnat problems (followed by damping off in later stages). I did COVER my top layer with cinnamon at the time, but it may have been to late by then. (My soil was Kelloggs potting mixed with that compost sifted). Now I take a generic seed starting mix and sterilize it in the microwave…. This is the best my seedlings have ever looked… and I haven’t seen one fungus gnat! So forgive me for being a little wary of anything other than sterilized peat moss lol. To repot these in a bigger container, I was planning on using the same sterile mix but mixing in some warm castings that have been in my garage and are probably not full oTo repot these in a bigger container, I was planning on using the same sterile mix but mixing in some warm castings that have been in my garage and are probably void of any microbes and hopefully fungus gnat eggs. This is the best solution I have short of just filling pots with pure peat moss and perlite (and now this Medina grow n green).

Oh I also began spraying hydrogen peroxide solution on the soil because I just started seeing a fine layer of white mold or something. I’ve heard good things about that and it should probably be mixed into my routine.

EDIT: ahhh I just saw the Medina is an organic fertilizer… so I’ll need some soil life right? Meaning I can’t just sterilize my potting mix yea? :confused:
I sterilize my seed starting soil too but I do mine over an open fire and in a large quantity. In Texas's climate I believe it is mandatory. When you repot the first time you do not want to use a seed starting mix. You want to use what the plant will be growing in permanently but not 100% . I like to use my garden soil 50/50 with a good enriched compost and perlite. Your pepper plants are way past getting damping off so the more fungi and bacteria in the soil the better. And leave that white mold alone. It is probably the fruiting bodies of Trichoderma and even if it isn't it is not harmful, it's just another fungi breaking down organic matter. And if you do get fungus knats don't spray the soil with peroxide, drench the soil. Spraying just doesn't get deep enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I sterilize my seed starting soil too but I do mine over an open fire and in a large quantity. In Texas's climate I believe it is mandatory. When you repot the first time you do not want to use a seed starting mix. You want to use what the plant will be growing in permanently but not 100% . I like to use my garden soil 50/50 with a good enriched compost and perlite. Your pepper plants are way past getting damping off so the more fungi and bacteria in the soil the better. And leave that white mold alone. It is probably the fruiting bodies of Trichoderma and even if it isn't it is not harmful, it's just another fungi breaking down organic matter. And if you do get fungus knats don't spray the soil with peroxide, drench the soil. Spraying just doesn't get deep enough.
50/50 meaning garden soil/compost? Or garden soil/seed start mix + some compost?

It would not matter when the leaves get that big- the roots are getting bound and cannot feed properly no matter what magic sauce you feed them. Especially peppers because I swear their roots are 2x the topside greenery.
:ROFLMAO: Honestly you’re right, it’s just time to get them into some real soil lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
50/50 meaning garden soil/compost? Or garden soil/seed start mix + some compost?

:ROFLMAO: Honestly you’re right, it’s just time to get them into some real soil lol
Garden soil/compost and perlite. Don't forget to mix in your dry fertilizer. This potting of your plants correctly is of upmost importance, as important as transplanting itself. From the moment you repot you will treat the plants as if they were already transplanted i.e. fertilization, amendments, water etc. You want uninterrupted growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Phew… finally got around to repotting these. Right before I was getting ready to repot I came down with covid pretty heavily. Been bedridden for the past week.

I did the 50/50 mix of soil/compost, a healthy amount of perlite, a few scoops of worm castings and a 4-4-4 espoma organic fert. I watered with 2-2-2 fish emulsion+kelp water soluble (I couldn’t get out to get the Medina products due to the quarantine etc., but I just had to get these into some soil). The pictures are day 1. Have some chelated iron coming via Amazon and will spray it as soon as it comes in. I also gave the tomato seedlings the water soluble fert and they’re sprouting their first true leaves now :D

29B0210C-AFFF-4523-96F1-29287D9A6B63.jpeg

F154A4AC-DFA7-455F-B0DB-D974E8A1B4CB.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Phew… finally got around to repotting these. Right before I was getting ready to repot I came down with covid pretty heavily. Been bedridden for the past week.

I did the 50/50 mix of soil/compost, a healthy amount of perlite, a few scoops of worm castings and a 4-4-4 espoma organic fert. I watered with 2-2-2 fish emulsion+kelp water soluble (I couldn’t get out to get the Medina products due to the quarantine etc., but I just had to get these into some soil). The pictures are day 1. Have some chelated iron coming via Amazon and will spray it as soon as it comes in. I also gave the tomato seedlings the water soluble fert and they’re sprouting their first true leaves now :D

View attachment 91655
View attachment 91656
Now all you have to do is see what this fertilizing does in regards to that purpling of the pepper leaves. It should stop it. Lookin good.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
With any luck at all, you are heading into a great time to raise those pepper seedlings into very productive plants. Typically, Sept and Oct are excellent months here for producing a lot of peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
More updates :D

It’s been 10 days since chelated iron foliar spray, repotting, and healthy dose of a 6-12-6 water soluble. The purple is almost completely gone. There was still some yellowing a couple days ago so I foliar sprayed the same water soluble on the leaves (because I had already watered them) and here’s the final result so far. Still some yellowing and I may have burned them a bit… but dang they’re much better than before.

@Chuck thank you once again! Just for my own knowledge, is there a reason you chose that Medina fertilizer over something like a fish and kelp mixture? Or is that just some tried-and-true fertilizer you prefer?

28BC4CB4-8277-4260-AB1E-B742D426D896.jpeg

67E335E9-9B19-4DFE-8965-D82BE07B5912.jpeg

B74F20FC-062A-4626-BE99-975543A3079B.jpeg

And just for fun, wanted to show the tomato seedlings I just potted up using the same methods (minus the chelated iron).
F637F3BA-82B0-4DB3-9E0B-5BFB2800216D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am going to play devils advocate here. Your plants do look a lot better but I wish you would NOT use the chelated iron as a foliar spray. Use it as a soil drench. I find it does not work nearly as good when sprayed. In the first picture I see a lot of micro-nutrient deficient leaves. This should not be the case if you drenched with the iron chelate. Foliar fertilization acts differently than root feeding. Foliar feeding does not affect root growth and root growth is what is needed when growing vegetables. Please let me know if you drenched with the chelate and if so how much and when.

Ask a Question