5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think I will die sooner if I don't have a big garden to energise me. I want to keep my own chicken for food, better than eating hormone infested shop boughts.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I think I will die sooner if I don't have a big garden to energise me. I want to keep my own chicken for food, better than eating hormone infested shop boughts.
That's a good idea about keeping chickens, how easy are they to keep?

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I only had experience of caged hens. But I will certainly keep chickens and try to keep pigeons as well. Just think about dinner!:LOL::D

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have thought about it, but i don't know if i could kill one and how to prepare one.
My brother got some ducks to raise and kill to sell them, but when it came to it his wife had to do it, she was brought up that way.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have thought about it, but i don't know if i could kill one and how to prepare one.
My brother got some ducks to raise and kill to sell them, but when it came to it his wife had to do it, she was brought up that way.

You know now that I am not the sentimental type. Not nice, but I had done it - I just looked away until the bird stopped flapping. Better than buying birds sitting on their own excrement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Are we talking chicken killings? Execution day was a big deal on our farm. Mom raised chickens and turkeys and I had my own egg business.
Mom always had enough turkeys to sell to her church lady friends so they would all gather at the farm for the big event. One of my older brothers was the executioner and would stretch the birds neck out between two large nails nailed into a tree stump, then a whack with the hatchet and the blood would start flying. On to the grass the headless turkey or chicken would lay for a while. Close to this was a huge pot of boiling water bubbling away. Dad or mom would grab a dead bird by it's feet and quickly dip it in and out of the water and hand it over to me or any one of the ladies there. The quick dip makes the feathers come off easy. Once that was completed Mom and her lady friends would get to the ghastly eviscerations, happily chatting away to each other as they ripped the entrails of those poor innocent and headless birds from their featherless bodies.
And over the months as we gathered in the dinning room for special meals, we would gorge ourselves on their tasty flesh and crispy skin.
Yes, those were the days my friends.

Now to be totally honest I was OK with it all except the smell of the wet feathers after the dip. About halfway through the killing day I would make my escape and disappear through the trees. The smell of those wet feathers was worse than cleaning out my hen house in the spring.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL::D! It's a bit gruesome, but that's the way of life years ago. Now, people shoot pheasants for fun. I don't think they even eat the meat. They just shoot them for fun and status symbol as they pay a hefty fee for it.

Do you still have a hen house, John?

Saw a bungalow and it made me laugh as the decoration for the selling was horrendous. I nearly want to call the police as these decorators are vendalising the house. The entrance is paved with tiles, white on the side and black on in the middle. The doors to the cupboard not well abutted. Put down a very silly offer, just to make my presence felt. Will up it. when my own house has got a firm offer. I cry for our children as the houses are just sky high in prices. All because people could be laundering money in London and using properties there as investment. A man told me that even though he and his wife both had a job, he didn't think he could pay off his mortgage in his lifetime. £300K for a semi detached brand new and that was cheap.

Imagine paying a large chunk of mortgage and then you fell ill or lost the job .... enough to make you cry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello alp, I wish I had a few hens but the city council still won't allow us to keep chickens. I can see a ban on roosters but a few hens are not going to wake people up an 6am on a Sunday morning.
Actually the city bylaws are nuts here. I have good reasons for wanting to raise war elephants in the backyard.

The housing market is in a slump in my city, due to the crazy low price of Alberta oil and the policies of the federal liberal government in Ottawa. Oil companies are cutting employees again and oil is what drives this province and kept the entire nation from suffering badly from the 2008 world recession.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I am afraid of. I might have to employ some acoustic engineers to quieten down the noise. Or neighbours might get irate. Funny smell the police can't detect, but noise is another sitting duck to be hit.

Wish we had some gilet jaune protesters here - against zero hour contracts and all those inhumane treatment. Son said that people working for Amazon need to wear headphones to show they are working to the beat??? Don't know if it is true. Apparently, the pressure is so much at people use waste basket to pi** in. How can people treat others like this?

Watch some Canadian crime programme called death ??? water and it is so ultra strange to see some people speaking in French and translators are needed to speak in English so that people can understand what these professionals are talking about. No wonder the Quebecois are clamouring for independence.. as they are allowed to carry on like that. One would think they should be bi-lingual.. Someone might want my head for saying that.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cor! It's so cold! Logan, are you cold!? I can feel the chill. Well, I've turned the heating down to 18c as son is not here.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello alp, I wish I had a few hens but the city council still won't allow us to keep chickens. I can see a ban on roosters but a few hens are not going to wake people up an 6am on a Sunday morning.
Actually the city bylaws are nuts here. I have good reasons for wanting to raise war elephants in the backyard.

The housing market is in a slump in my city, due to the crazy low price of Alberta oil and the policies of the federal liberal government in Ottawa. Oil companies are cutting employees again and oil is what drives this province and kept the entire nation from suffering badly from the 2008 world recession.

Yes, roosters can be a nuisance, but banning hens is a bit over the top. The way the politicians are playing with fire, we're already in a slum. Must be a lot of mining going on in Canada. Black gold and perhaps yellow gold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Actually Quebec isn't clamouring for independence. The last poll I saw has 82% of the people in La Belle Province wanting to remain Canadian. The separatists are out pf power in Quebec and they did so poorly federally that their party hasn't the numbers for official party status.

The chickens I would love are these Polish ones.lol I could never butcher these lovelies.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor! It's so cold! Logan, are you cold!? I can feel the chill. Well, I've turned the heating down to 18c as son is not here.
Yes i'm cold during the day,:eek: but now feel warmer thanks.Going to have freezing rain tomorrow. Was going to keiths tomorrow, but not if it's like that, be bad enough trying to walk the boys.:eek: Got some good shoes though and i hope they'll be good. I've been wearing my thermal leggings all day, even in the house.:eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all it getting nippy out there, pitch were freezing while at football . I couldn't butcher / kill any animal :( I feel a bit guilty quashing the slugs what terrorises my plants.

It said in paper the other day house prices have risen 11.5% this year 5th in the country (n) no wonder they are trying to build houses everywhere.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Actually Quebec isn't clamouring for independence. The last poll I saw has 82% of the people in La Belle Province wanting to remain Canadian. The separatists are out pf power in Quebec and they did so poorly federally that their party hasn't the numbers for official party status.

The chickens I would love are these Polish ones.lol I could never butcher these lovelies.

It's so strange that PROFESSIONALS, not cleaners or menial workers speak in French. It's like they can't express themselves in English. One would think English is an easy language to learn, compared with the slippery French grammatical and pronunciation rules or German long words.

Oh, Johnny, they are lovely. I have seen them in real farm. But you need the company of real birds! LOL! Watching videos is not the same. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question