5 Best Herbs to Grow

If i could grow just 2 Herbs at home they would be

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious what others would consider to be the best herbs to grow and have on hand at all times. I personally think these are the best:
Basil - The fragrance of basil is unbelievable and can be added to so many dishes and sides for a little freshness, spaghetti, pizza, chicken with tomato. Tomato with fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil can make some great dishes as is great alone!
Rosemary - I think I might like the aroma of Rosemary more than the flavor, but both are great. Adding some to bread, and muffins is so fantastic.
Dill - Fresh dill smells great but is great as a garnish as well. I especially love dill dips, adding a bit of fresh dill to mayo, sour cream, or cheese makes a simple and delicious dip/spread.
Mint - So much could be said for mint. Fresh mint smells divine, but is also again great as a garnish. Adding it to any kind of spritzer, cocktail, or a dessert is amazing.
Thyme - I am newer to the uses of Thyme but I love it so far and will probably have a lot more to say about it as time goes on.
So I am always curious what others think and especially Why they think so.
So please share your top 5 herbs to grow and have on hand as well as why you believe so.

Reaction score
I chose Basil and Oregano, which are two of the herbs I have now. I use these two herbs a lot. I love to make sauces and basil and oregano are perfect for just that. Basil can be used in a ton of recipes. I love the taste of fresh basil. Oregano goes into most of my Italian recipes as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Basil and 'other' would get my vote - 'other' being Coriander. Purely because these are the herbs I use the most! I've tried growing coriander before and could never find a spot in which it was happy :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pick basil and "other"! My other herb would be cilantro as I use this through out the year. It is also easy to grow. I just take some seeds and put them in a pot of soil and they grow on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I chose basil and mint, because they both smell really nice and are very easy to grow. I love them, they're my favorite herbs:) I also like lavender and lemon verbena.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I chose Rosemary because it's goes great chicken and if you boil rosemary and use it as a rinse in your hair like my grandmother taught me to do. It completely gets rid of hair shedding and frizz while giving you a nice natural shine to your skin and hair. Don't worry your hair and skin wont smell like a garden. I also chose Dill because, Let's face facts here who doesn't love fresh Dill.

Reaction score
I forgot all about my mint plants. I really do love mint, maybe even more than basil. I may not use it nearly as much, but I really enjoy the smell of it and how it takes over everything. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
As what we have now, I'll take mint only because that is the only herb that we use. We had basil but it perished due to neglect. And why neglected? Because we do not use it. From what I remember, there was only 1 occasion when we cooked an omelet with shreds of basil leaves. And the taste did not sell to the kids in the house. With mint, we all know about it and it seems to me that it is the most popular of the herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
For me first place is basil and i see i am not the only one. i use it a lot around the kitchen and cannot imagine meals with tomato without basil. Second is Dill. This is a wonderful and aromatic plant. I use it in some soups and with meat usually. Third place is for parsley. I actually use parsley everywhere so i have to buy it. In Serbia parsley is like a must in kitchen. In fourth place we have thyme. I actually like a herbal tea made of this and some other plants. Last one is Lemon Balm. This would stand in a first place but i really have trouble to find it and keep it. The smell of this plant is unbelivable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil is by far one of my favorite herbs. I love dicing up tomatoes and onion and throwing it in there. I also love pesto so having lots of basil plants helps. I think basil is one of the freshest smelling herbs and helps brighten up the home. I find it is also one of the easier herbs to grow and keep alive. I have no luck with parsley or cilantro.

Reaction score
Dill is such a weird herb to grow for me, I always think about usage first. So If i want to make pickled things i grow dill,, but any other time I hate the smell of it. Sorry not sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I personally love to use fresh basil, so I am planning on growing this herb to have on hand at all times. Another one is parsley, and I love rosemary. These three I would love to have fresh all the time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I saw a few people mention lemon balm. I know it smells nice but what do you use it for? I know of people using it in tea but are there food dishes that use it? Or some sort of fancy hipster cocktail that you muddle with lemon balm instead of mint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm currently growing parsley, sage, and cilantro! I use all three quite often, so this was a no-brainer lol. Plus they are able to be grown in colder weather, meaning I can plant now!

Ask a Question