What is the best way to pick your herbs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everybody! I grow Oregano and Basil inside and I've been wonder what the best way is to actually pick some of it. I'm always afraid that when I pick off leaves or stems I will hurt the plant :( How do I harvest some to use in my kitchen without killing the poor plant? Thanks!

Reaction score
You can use scissors to snip the plant, but I just break off pieces. I have never had an issue with simply picking the plant. I think you'll be fine either way. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I just use scissors and snip off the ends of a few stems. The more you snip the bushier it will get

I think this is the best way to harvest herb. The snipping of the branches is quick and will not harm the herb. Plain picking by hand may ruin the other leaves or worse, it can pull up the roots of the plant. And I agree that that more you trim the herb, the more branches it will grow and will look healthier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used scissor to cut what I need since using my hands sometimes tore up the fiber on the plant. I do this with all my herbs for indoor and outdoor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Don't worry, you won't hurt the plant. Herbs like being pruned, it's good for them. My basil and lemon verbena both have very soft stems, so I don't need to use scissors, I just break off pieces:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should I snip off the stems at the base or just at any point along the stem? I find that sometimes snipping off in the middle of the stem causes the plant to branch that stem, but other times it does not. Hope that question made sense. Thanks for all the replies!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told a long time ago to snip with a sharp item when you cut a plant. I use a sharp kitchen knife to cut back my house plants when I do cut them back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should I snip off the stems at the base or just at any point along the stem? I find that sometimes snipping off in the middle of the stem causes the plant to branch that stem, but other times it does not. Hope that question made sense. Thanks for all the replies!
I usually snip them a couple of inches from the tip or 2 or 3 sets of leaves from the tip.
Never from the base

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use a sharp object like a knife or scissors and I usually go for the stem areas. The plant wont be hurt at all and will actually get right back to growing a new stem somewhere else if not at the cutting zone. Just keep replenishing with its sunlight and watering and you'll be fine for a long time in having herb snippets with planting new ones.

Ask a Question