best herbs in poor soil, bright sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
image.jpg
I have a plot in my garden that even the chocolate mint doesn't want to grow. It really takes a beating from the sun and the soil there is not ideal. On a whim I grabbed a couple of herbs, and to my surprise they're doing quite well this season! Italian and Thai basil, chamomille, pineapple sage, regular sage, oregano, and lavender. Lavender and thyme seem the happiest! any other big name herbs for cooking we're missing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Marjoram is a good culinary herb. You might also want to try Mexican tarragon (tagetes lucida) which doesn't die out in heat and humidity like the French tarragon does for us here in Texas (also in zone 8).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oregano and rosemary too. Both easy to grow, hard to kill and easy to dry for year around use.
Several of the herbs mentioned so far grow in tough, fairly arid desert-type environments. I think most of the woody herbs would probably work.

Ask a Question