5 Best Herbs to Grow

If i could grow just 2 Herbs at home they would be

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I picked Basil as there are so many and it can be used in a lot of different dishes and I picked Rosemary for it's kitchen and garden versatility. Those were my top 2. Oregano, Parsley and Other (Cilantro) were close thirds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
oregano...have a whole bed of it we get 3-4 harvests per year which equals 2 quart jars full. still harvest during the winter
thyme...about the same.
basil..start and plant 20 ....either dry it or turn it into pesto
rosemary grow that year round .. no need to dry it
know it's now a herb but...... green onions....

Reaction score
For me the best herbs to grow at home are:

1) Cilantro
2) Lavender
3) Dill
4) Mint
5) Basil
6) Marjoram
7) thyme
8) Mexican oregano
9) rosemary
10) Epazote herb

Those are in my top 10, really useful herbs for the cook :)

Reaction score
I forgot all about my mint plants. I really do love mint, maybe even more than basil. I may not use it nearly as much, but I really enjoy the smell of it and how it takes over everything. :)

Me too, actually if I had to choose between mint and basil I'd always pick mint. I just love the smell and freshness of it,plus it's perfect for all sorts of things, it is a very versatile herb :) I love it because you can use it for teas, desserts and even food!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pick would be rosemary and basil. I love the smell of rosemary when it is cooking and the same with basil. I add them both to my vegetables when I cook them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
For me and our household I would say basil and coriander/cilantro. We make a lot of Italian and a lot of Mexican dishes at home, because they're two of our favorite cuisines -- so those herbs lend well to those dishes. Also, when we're growing them at home we save a fair bit of cash, since we can just pick from our garden rather than having to get store bought basil and cilantro - so that's an added bonus!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For me and our household I would say basil and coriander/cilantro. We make a lot of Italian and a lot of Mexican dishes at home, because they're two of our favorite cuisines -- so those herbs lend well to those dishes. Also, when we're growing them at home we save a fair bit of cash, since we can just pick from our garden rather than having to get store bought basil and cilantro - so that's an added bonus!
Same with my household, and that's what I am hoping to achieve..having a successful herb garden to eliminate the need to buy them at the grocery store!

Ask a Question