Best Herbs to Grow in Cold Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have read that parsley is a good herb to grow in cold weather. Anyone have any other ideas for any other herbs that do well in cold weather? Any advice would be helpful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have read that parsley is a good herb to grow in cold weather. Anyone have any other ideas for any other herbs that do well in cold weather? Any advice would be helpful!
It all depends on where you live and how cold it gets. Why not tell us where you live and in what zone you are in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm in northern ca, I'm not sure what you mean by what zone?

Just put your zip code in here:
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Then you can add it to your profile so it shows up in the little box to the left of your posts. Makes it much easier to give advice, since this is a very international forum with all sorts of climates and growing conditions. :)

Any of the brassica plants - cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Most greens do well too; my chard and kale have already withstood a few frosts and are doing fine.
Oh you said herbs....mint, for one. Chives, and probably sage too. Oregano? It's not supposed to be an annual in my climate but it re-seeds and comes up every year in the outdoor pot and seems quite hardy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Sage is one of the plants we have in our garden and it has been very resilient year round for several years now - so I second that recommendation!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am currently growing kale and spinach, they are doing wonderfully in the cold weather! As for herbs I believe you are on the right track, as I have read about those and a few others that can be grown in cooler weather. Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome! I think I am going to try some parsley and some chives, to start out with. I researched a whole list of herbs I can grow in cooler weather. Will definitely give sage a try as well! Thank you so much! :)

Reaction score
I can totally say that thyme and rosemary gets through almost everything. In the winter I usually get some thyme from under the snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry but all I can contribute is miint because that's one herb that is sturdy in any weather. However, you cannot raise mint in the outside garden during winter, it will definitely perish. I would suggest that you plant the mint in a portable pot (easy to move or relocate) so you can give it sunshine and keep it away from too much cold. I know of so many who are doing that during winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can totally say that thyme and rosemary gets through almost everything. In the winter I usually get some thyme from under the snow.
Thyme and rosemary are on my list as well! I'm excited to get started, I love cooking with fresh herbs!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My parsley never seems to last the winter. I live in the northeast so it gets very cold. I usually have a windowsill of herbs that I keep year round. However, whatever herbs are outside always die by the winter if the inch worms don’t eat them first!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My parsley never seems to last the winter. I live in the northeast so it gets very cold. I usually have a windowsill of herbs that I keep year round. However, whatever herbs are outside always die by the winter if the inch worms don’t eat them first!
Our winters aren't very cold, so I think I want to experiment and see if it will work out. If not, at least I tried!

Ask a Question