What's the best way to dry my herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I would like to know how to dry herbs the best way. I have never done this before, but I want to be able to keep some of my herbs for later. What is the best (easiest) way to dry herbs? Is it the same process for all of them or do you have to do each one differently?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Personally for me I just hang them with twine - it's worked well for my rosemary and sage, I don't know though if it would be suitable for all herbs (I'm not a professional!!) maybe someone else can weigh in on that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sage, oregano, marjoram all dry well--just hang stems in a place out of direct light and with good air circulation. When the leaves are dry, put the whole leaves in glass jars and store in a dark, cool place. Whole leaves lose less of the essential oils and flavor than crushed or ground up leaves. You can crumble the leaves just before using.
I have found that parsley and basil are best frozen. Chop the leaves up, add enough water to make a paste, and freeze them in one tablespoon "blobs" by putting them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. When frozen, put the blobs in a freezer container and use when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Sage, oregano, marjoram all dry well--just hang stems in a place out of direct light and with good air circulation. When the leaves are dry, put the whole leaves in glass jars and store in a dark, cool place. Whole leaves lose less of the essential oils and flavor than crushed or ground up leaves. You can crumble the leaves just before using.
I have found that parsley and basil are best frozen. Chop the leaves up, add enough water to make a paste, and freeze them in one tablespoon "blobs" by putting them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. When frozen, put the blobs in a freezer container and use when needed.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I wasn't aware that whole leaves lose less flavor than crushed ones. I learn something new each time I come to the forum. Freezing the basil and the parsley seem like really great ways to keep them ready for use. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
As a general rule of the thumb, you can't go wrong with sun drying due to the fact that its not too intense or drastic as compared to using an oven or other methods. You can also store the herbs in an airy cupboard. The only other alternative is to use a dessicator if you are willing to foot the extra cost in terms of capital investment.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
i put my mint on a newspaper inside the house with no direct sun light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't fork out for a dessicator just yet, so I need to use what I have right now. I guess I'll stick with sun drying for now.

Ask a Question