2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, finally, I have been granted a reply box. I couldn't even click like as I was re-directed to a page which asked me

Like this post?

And now is the first time I have got a reply box in which I can type in. Slow connectivity. So when you have a noisy line and you have to shout or intermittent connectivity, it could be that your wire is too old.

But I guess you're all using fibre optics and unlike me who live in the dark technological age, copper wire which was 40 years old.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Engineers had been and gone. One Martin on his ladder to replace the corroded wire which was 40 years old. On the other side, a cherry picker man helped with the job. The engineer said that the wires were very old.
But I might have to talk to Yorkshireman for some speed and it needed to be built up over several days.

19LBs of berries .. Respect, @Logan
You'll have to talk to Yorkshire man then.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, finally, I have been granted a reply box. I couldn't even click like as I was re-directed to a page which asked me

Like this post?

And now is the first time I have got a reply box in which I can type in. Slow connectivity. So when you have a noisy line and you have to shout or intermittent connectivity, it could be that your wire is too old.

But I guess you're all using fibre optics and unlike me who live in the dark technological age, copper wire which was 40 years old.
It's fibre optic to the cabinets up the road,then copper clading to the houses. They should change it sometime. It's been 16 years since they were put in. It was Telywest who did it,then Virgin Media took it over.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you pay that money, you should ask for fibre optics to the house. We have the logistics i,e fibre optics to the house when we moved in, but we just never have that sort of money. Elderly neighbour has had it for years.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another duplicate post. Took ages to post a reply.

Took too time to email Yorkshireman, so take a lesson from @Colin , email ceo again.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
If you pay that money, you should ask for fibre optics to the house. We have the logistics i,e fibre optics to the house when we moved in, but we just never have that sort of money. Elderly neighbour has had it for years.
It doesn't work like that, have to wait for them to do it. They would do all the houses.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't work like that, have to wait for them to do it. They would do all the houses.

Yes, you're right. The whole of our area has got fibre optics up to the road. or front of the house. It's been raining or spitting non-stop. Makes a nice change for having no rain at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Logan.... haven't been to get it checked out ....it was only operated on 10 mths ago and as it was a bit more complicated than the other one they warned me that it would take about 18 mths to settle down.....so still a way to go yet!:(

Thanks for the tip @alp will give it a go...sounds yum.:)

Just got back from a catch-up session with a friend.....it was sooo lovely to ' get away' from things for an hour or three!
Walking home back up our lane I got hit on the head by a low flying bird......now that's a first for me!!!:eek:

Well must get on, there is a big pile of sis's washing waiting to get put in the w. machine.

See ya later!!:D(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You mean the bird KISSED you? How could it want to hit you.. Maybe you should buy the lottery.. How rare was that? :eek::p

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Being a dinosaur has benefits like not wandering around with a mobile phone permanently welded to my ear.

Isn't that the truth?! It's sad, I walk through the grocery aisles and in almost every one, there is someone discussing what kind of whatever to buy, usually at the top of their lungs... What did they do before cell phones? They made an educated guess!! (Have you seen the peanut butter in your house? Buy one that looks like that! (y) :rolleyes:.)

When I was waiting tables, I watched a table of four businessmen at lunch. Three of the four were chatting away on their phones, ignoring the fourth guy. He fiddled with the salt and pepper shakers, he stared out the window, so obviously bored I felt sorry for him.:( I watched to see how long they'd make him wait, and I had an epiphany so funny I laughed out loud. A co-worker asked me what was funny, and I told her, "See that guy? He's on hold." He sat on hold for twenty minutes, waiting for someone to talk to him!! :eek:

I still don't know how to receive incoming calls or texts and I'm not losing sleep over it.

I do text; I use my phone more for texting than I do to talk on it! :LOL: I will call if it is something important that won't wait, but texting lures you in by the convenience of it. :cautious: If you want to invite me to something, or send me an address, it's much easier to text it to me. There is no more "Hang on while I find a pen and paper...Why can I never find a pen? ... Ok, found one!!! ...No, wait, this pen doesn't work..." :rolleyes:

:unsure: It's also more convenient because I feel like I never know anyone's schedule anymore. For instance, if I want to ask my sister "Where were we when we went fishing, and "caught" the bicycle?" - I will text her, because I don't want to bother her at work, or when she might be driving. It's flattering that she considers my calls important enough to answer no matter what she's doing, but texts seem to have the understanding - get back to me when you have time. (In my head, I call it "Notes on the fridge." :ROFLMAO:.)

I use the camera more than I talk on it, too. I like to text pictures to my friends - look at this pretty whatever I've found now... :D I also take pictures with the phone, text them to my e-mail, download them to the computer, then upload them to the forum. I accept that an actual camera would take better pictures, but I like the convenience of it. ;)

Beware!! It's a trap!! :cautious: :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
About the bird and @Upsy Daisy I hope they both have a good constitution.

I only use my phone as alarm clock/ clock. Also when I must use the mobile phone. I have £10 in them and that lasted me for 5 years and still going. I am with 3 for pay as you go and I never believe in monthly payment for my mobile phone.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Perhaps Iggle Piggle has started to keep pigeons Upsy Daisy? Sorry to learn you're not too chipper though and very best wishes for a speedy improvement. (y)

Thanks MaryMary; how indeed did people manage without cell phones? I'll definitely not get drawn into the trap of living for a cell phone; it's sad though when people queue five blocks just to get the latest cell phone spending a fortune on an electronic bit of kit which will be outdated in a couple of months; Bron and I keep receiving flyers from Virgin Media offering us the latest must have cell phone at an amazingingly low price; low to Virgin of course because they aren't paying the bill. I can understand you preferring text; I do but mine is email; I can read or send at my leisure without instantly having to answer a phone which I always feel invades my peace and tranquility; I had six phones on my desks at work plus a pager; I'm glad to see the back of the lot of them. ;)

I've just been playing with my toys; I've tidied the workshop; checked the tires; topped up the washer bottle and topped up the Adblue on the Yeti; I've cleaned and oiled the shovel putting this away with the wheelbarrow; both had been in the workshop now they are in the garden hut; I've now installed the security cameras and been upgrading a couple of 12V circuits; once winter arrives (assuming it ever left) I'll spend more time in the workshop on interesting projects; I've made a start on a router table so there's plenty to keep me fully occupied. I still need to rake the lawn where I've been very busy digging stumps out; it's littered with small stones and other debris which turn into missiles as I go over with the petrol lawn mower. I intended to wash the Yeti but Blackie appeared telling me not to dare or I would receive another soaking. It saddens me when I hear people are "bored".

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use my phone to call anyone, i do a short text. Because i pay as you go.I use my phone mostly for the web in the house, because of Wi-fi.If i want to call our son i will use my hubby's, because he's on a contract and he gets free calls and our son only has a mobile.At the weekend BT does free calls on landline,so i will use that if i want to call my 2 Brothers.

Ask a Question