Which herbs do you like to use together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United Kingdom
There are many different well known combinations but I was wondering if there are any you specifically like to use together? I love rosemary and thyme together, especially in a chicken dish. I also like oregano and basil together in pasta dishes. I'm also a huge fan of chives with basil, although not so much with oregano. I've used tomato, chives and basil together as flavouring on crisps/potato chips before and that was great!

On the other hand, I really dislike dill paired with anything at all. I'd rather it was by itself as the only herb, and served with fish.

I don't actually grow my own dill either at the moment but I do grow all of the others. I'll have to give growing dill a go some time as well though. I just don't eat it often enough at the moment to warrant growing it as much as I like it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Herb pairing is really a very subjective thing! I agree that oregano and basil go hand-in-hand in almost any dish. I like to add chives alone to dishes--they seem to delicate in flavor to mix well. And dill is the same, although not delicate. Dill seems to overwhelm any other herb. It does make a great dill butter to put on boiled potatoes, or green beans.
Speaking of green beans, savory on green beans is a little bite of heaven!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Herbs I really like but no longer grow because they bolt too quickly: dill, parsley, cilantro. I just buy fresh at the store when I want some. Well, I love dill with some fish and cucumber dishes, but otherwise not so much.
Oregano and basil: can't go wrong.
Sage with anything involving bacon, pork or sausage.
Rosemary with any potato-based dish, especially roasted.
I do quite a few Thai-type dishes as well as Italian and salads, and basil is just perfect with all of it, especially any recipe using coconut milk.
I used to grow chives and green onions but maybe my taste buds got ruined by too many years of smoking (I quit as of April 2012, yay me) because the flavor was so mild I couldn't taste it and regular onions filled the bill just as well.
@marlingardener it's been years since I grew savory; I should try it on green beans then? I have pole beans going nuts in my garden right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beth, in your area you can do summer savory. Because summer savory just can't stand our heat and humidity, I grow winter savory. It's such a great herb--so useful with any green vegetable, peas, broccoli, beans, etc. Do give it a try--savory isn't one of the usual garden herbs, but it is worth growing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My favorite herbs to use together are sweet basil and oregano to marinade the meat. It has such a great aroma when cooking and gives the meat a wonderful flavor. Actually, I used these two herbs on fish and chicken too, anything that needs seasoning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am not well versed with herb although we have some in the garden. The most that I know is mint which we use to decorate plates when we have guests. The mint is usually just a decoration although the people who know would chew the leaves to eradicate the odor of food in the mouth. And since mint is very prolific, it is okay to use it for decorations every time we have house guests for dinner. But in combination with another herb, I really don't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Of all the herbs that I grow I think comfrey is my favorite, I grow lots of chives there great for cooking and just eating from the garden.

Reaction score
When I make certain tomato sauces I use both oregano and basil, for other dishes thyme and oregano is much better :) I love to use fresh herbs in my dishes, specially in my soups, they definitely change the flavour of everything for good. I love to use them specially when making chicken soup, because my mother has never liked a chicken soup that tastes too much like ''soup''. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Like Trellum, oregano and basil for tomato dishes.
I use dill, oregano, mint and parsley for much of my Eastern Mediterranean cooking.
I love garlic and rosemary with lamb, and chives are delicious with boiled early potatoes, and sometimes with mashed potatoes.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I like to use a mix of several herbs with my rice. These include black pepper, cinnamon, cloves cardamons and cinnamon. That works very well with my rice dishes.

Reaction score
Like Trellum, oregano and basil for tomato dishes.
I use dill, oregano, mint and parsley for much of my Eastern Mediterranean cooking.
I love garlic and rosemary with lamb, and chives are delicious with boiled early potatoes, and sometimes with mashed potatoes.

I use dill for most of my Swedish dishes and several salads. Actually I use both dill and lemon grass for making a nice Mexican style salad. It's fun to play with the flavors :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I cook a lot of Italian dishes and I love the mixture of oregano and basil. To me, that combination just screams Italian food - and it's even better when the herbs are fresh from my garden instead of dried and store bought.

I do also like garlic and rosemary for meat and also for potatoes - garlic/rosemary smashed potatoes are to die for!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love the combination of thyme, garlic and herb pepper. I always add them to baked Camembert. It's delicious!:love:

Ask a Question