Herbs that deter rabbits and deer??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, I'm so looking forward to spring. Would love to finally get my hands in the dirt again. Does anyone here have any favorite herbs you grow to deter rabbits and deer? I'm going to try lavendar. Are there any others that have worked for you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosemary deters deer, but if there is an overpopulation of deer, they will eat anything and everything. I have been told that any strong smelling herb (basil, oregano, cilantro) will put deer off.
Rabbits, get a cat or two :D! We lost all our peanuts to rabbits, also our green beans. We now have three cats and no rabbits. If possible, fencing in the garden, or at least the rows of plants that may be attacked by bunnies, works. We used chicken wire to fence in our seasonal garden.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are the cats in the yard or it is their litter you're using?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
A lot of animals do not like mint. Particularly rodents.

Welcome to the forum! From which part of Canuckland do you hail?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Mich, the cats are outdoors, and it isn't the scent of cat that deters the rabbits and mice--it's being chased by a determined cat that urges the varmints to move on to greener and safer pastures!

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know about herbs, but I know what we used to keep deer out of our garden. We could sit and watch this in action. It is called a ScareCrow. It is a watering sprinkler with a motion detector. Once the deer get close enough the water will start sprinkling them. It is like the sprinklers that go so far and then return. It worked every single time and we had a lot of deer.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know about herbs, but I know what we used to keep deer out of our garden. We could sit and watch this in action. It is called a ScareCrow. It is a watering sprinkler with a motion detector. Once the deer get close enough the water will start sprinkling them. It is like the sprinklers that go so far and then return. It worked every single time and we had a lot of deer.

hmm, thanks. great idea.

Ask a Question