possible to grow herbs indoors? - Colorado

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all so I am new to gardening. I planted spinach, and butter crunch lettuce. I have about 8 containers now all successfully growing. I have them by a window in a bedroom facing south so they get indirect sunlight 7 hours??? Issue is, I want to keep them indoors. Do you guys suggest a grow light when they get bigger? Do I need to plant them outside eventually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi all so I am new to gardening. I planted spinach, and butter crunch lettuce. I have about 8 containers now all successfully growing. I have them by a window in a bedroom facing south so they get indirect sunlight 7 hours??? Issue is, I want to keep them indoors. Do you guys suggest a grow light when they get bigger? Do I need to plant them outside eventually?
I would suggest a grow light now before they fail with indirect light. Seedlings carry all the energy from the seed with them as they emerge. When the time comes for them to draw energy from the surroundings the indirect light will probably be insufficient for such leafy vegetables.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a bright window ledge, why not?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest a grow light now before they fail with indirect light. Seedlings carry all the energy from the seed with them as they emerge. When the time comes for them to draw energy from the surroundings the indirect light will probably be insufficient for such leafy vegetables.

thank you!! my question is, can I juts use any light or does it need a special grow light?

something light this

https://www.amazon.com/Juhefa-Spect...162109&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=grow+light&psc=1

or can it be something as simple as this cabinet lighting?

https://www.amazon.com/ASOKO-Dimmab...UTF8&qid=1534162157&sr=8-6&keywords=LED+light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you!! my question is, can I juts use any light or does it need a special grow light?

something light this

https://www.amazon.com/Juhefa-Spect...162109&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=grow+light&psc=1

or can it be something as simple as this cabinet lighting?

https://www.amazon.com/ASOKO-Dimmab...UTF8&qid=1534162157&sr=8-6&keywords=LED+light
Lol alp & D m
The first light is ok but only good for an area of about 1 m² the second light is a much use as an ash tray on a motor bike you need a dual spectrum light which is blues and red in at work now and my chillis are given me grief lol:) will go into detail later

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Trouble with herbs is that they are mostly from the Mediterraneans - they like the sun, poor soil. Unless you can a balcony or window with strong sunshine, they might struggle! @marlingardener might help you with that. Some herbs like ginger also like moisture ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you post some pics please?hard to visualise your setup !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My favorite 48" LED tubes are coming from an outfit called "Toggled". I actually have been useing the tubes as I replace the lights in both of my stores and my home, but I noticed they have 48" grow light tubes and if the quality of their regular led lights are any indication, I would suggest reviewing their grow lights as part of any plant oriented consideration.

Website Here

Ask a Question