Which annual flowers like rich soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big raised bed (8ft x 4ft) at the top of my driveway that I plant a display of annual flowers in each year.
Last September we collected 3 wheelbarrows of horse and cow manure from the farm and as the bed was empty we temporarily dumped it on that flower bed until we had time to work out what to do with it. It's still there, and it's now not really practical to move it as we've mixed it in with the soil.

So, we now have a bed with very rich soil. I usually plant cosmos there, but I've read that it won't produce many flowers in rich soil.

What will like it? I have sunflowers, african marigolds but not many other taller plants. I have black eye susan vine, moonflower, morning glory, cup and saucer vine - although i don't really want to grow anything taller than about 4 foot.

For smaller plants at the front I have marigolds, nemesia, sweet alysum, candytuft, lobelia, snapdragons, poppies, calendula, virginia stock,

I do also have Dhalias, straw flowers and asters - although they don't flower until July and I prefer early flowering plants in this bed if possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Petunias or thousand bells (I forgot their proper name) have always done well for me in my pots. I also had my begonias do well in the same soil.

However I'm sure there are others who will know more flowers than I. I only have 2 pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
There are tall snapdragons that grow from 2 and a half feet to 4 feet tall.
I have planted numerous such snapdragons.

Ask a Question