Help Needed for an Ambitious Seed Sowing Plan - Annual Bedding Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is my forth season of gardening - I've been growing my own summer bedding plants for three years now and things have gone well - I always have lots of lovely flowers. However, things tend not to start looking good until July.

I'm not good at judging when to sow my seeds. I either get it too early (and have major headaches keeping things alive until it warms up) or too late and I end up with no flowers until late in the season.

Staples for me have always been cosmos and marigold varieties along with other cottage garden type flowers - but these don't flower until July. Can I sew early so they're flowering when I plant out in early June?

I have a huge variety of seeds this year to pick from, but I'm looking for some kind of guideline or framework to help me figure out what to sow when.
I have a small indoor grow room with heat mats and grow lights. I also have polytunnel and coldframes. I also have lots of time to dedicate to this.

I'm in West of Scotland (Ayrshire). Our last frost date is early June. We don't reliably warm up until well into June.

Ask a Question