Annuals in their 2nd year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello,

Relatively new to gardening in zone 10b.

I have a few annuals in the ground from last summer, producing new green growth and generally looking healthy.

I understand annuals usually complete their life cycle in a year, so as they're still growing will they likely flower again?

Many thanks,
Thomas

Attachments

• PXL_20220121_190859017.jpg
    PXL_20220121_190859017.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United States
Some plants are obligately annual species that will produces seed and die within one year.
However, many other plants that are grown and sold as annuals are in fact perennial, at least when the climate is appropriate.
As you are in USDA Zone 10B, you will find that many supposedly annual plants will live, grow and even bloom just fine through your frost-free winters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Some plants are obligately annual species that will produces seed and die within one year.
However, many other plants that are grown and sold as annuals are in fact perennial, at least when the climate is appropriate.
As you are in USDA Zone 10B, you will find that many supposedly annual plants will live, grow and even bloom just fine through your frost-free winters
Hi Marck,

Thanks for answering my question, again!

After posting this today I purchased some Verbena seeds and saw that they are grown as an annual in zones 1 - 8 and can be perennial thereafter. So I started to wonder if this was the same, ie what you said!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, different species of Verbena may be annual, biennial, herbaceously perennial, or woody shrubs, and will often behave differently in different climates.

Ask a Question