Where can I buy seed potatoes in small quantities in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to buy different varieties of seed potatoes, but not in 1–2kg packs. Is there anywhere online where I can buy smaller quantities of seed potatoes? I'm into urban gardening so I have limited space, and I think buying such large quantities would go to waste. I have enough space for 6 grow bags, and would like to put a different variety of potato of each pack. I'm UK based, so if there's anywhere I can buy them online, let me know! Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starter 'Seed' Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum and hybrids) aren't always so very small. One kilogram of potatoes might only give you six or eight potatoes. Yes, you might get a few extra but that is often the case, with actual seeds, so why not potatoes. Sometimes spares come in handy.

Of course you could buy potatoes form the grocery store. That might work fine, though realize that seed potatoes are often more carefully screened for disease than crop potatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Almost everywhere I look there are 1.5kg bags of 15-20 tubers, and I only need a few of the varieties I want. I'll have to keep looking online.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Caution: grocery store potatoes are often treated with clorproham (an herbicide/sprout inhibitor). Treated potatoes take longer to sprout, and the resulting plants may show stunted growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Caution: grocery store potatoes are often treated with clorproham (an herbicide/sprout inhibitor). Treated potatoes take longer to sprout, and the resulting plants may show stunted growth.
Good point, a Chlorpropham-treated potato should be the last-resort, though if I had one that is sprouting anyway, I would give it a try... Organic potatoes, often available in-season at Farmer's Markets are a better bet. Organic growers will also be more likely to grow different and unusual cultivars as well.

Ask a Question