Where to buy indoor plants at wholesale prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would love to open a business selling indoor tropical plants. Just wondered if anybody has any advice on where in the UK to buy from wholesalers, alternatively any advice on whether it would be cost effective on driving a large Van to Holland and buying direct from the Dutch wholesalers and paying the relevant taxes in the UK on arrival. I have already done some research on applying for the necessary registration with APHA as a professional operator in the UK . Any advice would be most appreciated

Regards
Jason

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this a Brexit question? In any case, it is usually less expensive to have the wholesalers deliver to you. However, to educate yourself about your sources, it may make sense to go on a buying trip. Especially if you are looking for off-list specialties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A word of caution. it is rarely a good idea to open a business because "I have always wanted to". 90% of ALL new businesses go bankrupt in the first 3 - 4 years. It is never a good idea to start a business for emotional reasons. Stick with solid logic and a good solid business plan and discuss it with a financial advisor or at least with your bank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
I would love to open a business selling indoor tropical plants. Just wondered if anybody has any advice on where in the UK to buy from wholesalers, alternatively any advice on whether it would be cost effective on driving a large Van to Holland and buying direct from the Dutch wholesalers and paying the relevant taxes in the UK on arrival. I have already done some research on applying for the necessary registration with APHA as a professional operator in the UK . Any advice would be most appreciated

Regards
Jason
Obviously things are different in the UK than the US, where I am from. And, as an American, I don't think I fully appreciate the relationship between the British and the Dutch, though I have great respect for both cultures and their gardening habits. My advice would be to start as small as reasonably possible and see if you can create a framework of profitability that can be expanded upon without too much initial risk. Like don't just quit your day job and sign a lease for a tropical plant palace. Try to make money off it out of your residence in your spare time first to test the feasibility of the idea.

Ask a Question