Where to buy seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was looking online at some of the various seed companies out there, are there some that are more reputable than others? I know that Burpee's is a big name, but I want to be able to do price comparisons. Is mail ordering seeds just as good as buying them at the store?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was looking online at some of the various seed companies out there, are there some that are more reputable than others? I know that Burpee's is a big name, but I want to be able to do price comparisons. Is mail ordering seeds just as good as buying them at the store?
Every year I buy quite a few seeds, always online. The companies like Burpee's, Parks and Ferry Morse have good seeds but I find that in the long run companies like Pinetree, Wilhite, Baker Creek and Tomato Growers are cheaper and for sure have a much wider selection

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite site for buying seeds (they come in bulk, too) is americanmeadows.com. I usually buy a bulk bag of marigold, echinacea (my favorite plant), and sometimes cosmos. The bulk seeds are actually cheaper than buying just a pack in the store. Check 'em out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I buy from both sources--on-line and in store. For the usuals (green beans, corn, radishes, some lettuces) a pack from the store at $1.79 is all the seed I need for both the spring and the fall garden. But, Pinetree, Johnny's, Totally Tomatoes, and Jung's offer varieties of vegetables I can't get locally and need the seed before the racks get filled at the stores..
I always get seed potatoes and onion sets locally.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Depends what kind of seeds you want. I can't help with vegetable seeds since I usually buy my packets at a nearby store, but for native plants, Prairie Moon Nursery is a fantastic site to order from. They have a huge selection of seeds, all native to the US, so they benefit the insects and animals around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have very little experience with buying US seeds because once I got my Nexus I was not allowed to import seeds however I got great stuff from Johnnies seeds. Great germination rates!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It is a trusted border crossing card.

still get inspected here and there but it saves a loooong wait to visit you.

I went through an interesting process and being under the microscope experience but I am grateful to have the privilege of being accepted. I will never abuse this opportunity.

I appreciate how these border fellows are watching our back door and if it was allowed would bring them home baking every trip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
A little late but... I was preparing to make a seed purchase where price and variety was important, about 30 packages most all a different plant, typically herbs. I looked at lots of places on line both smaller and larger. Of the large that come to mind were Burpee, Botanical Interest, Johnny's, Territorial and others. For the best selection and value, for me it was Renee's Garden. They had good prices, large selection and everything was in stock. For consumer purchasing Renee's packaging documentation (when to plant, where to plant) was good and the web page had some nice elements.

Out of stock combined with a modest number of varieties was an issue at some of the larger places surprisingly enough. The other thing was some of the larger places are not the cheapest, While Johnny's Seed pricing was good in quantity 1/4 oz and above, they were one of the most expensive at the packet level.

The biggest thing I noticed was a lot of place did not disclose how many seeds you get, Yes the pack and product listing might say 1G or 750 MG but what is that in seed count? Renee's Garden had a very straight forward document clearly stating seed count expectation. It was very helpful in comparison shopping over all.

Link to Renee's Seeds per Packet - Seeds per Weight
http://www.reneesgarden.com/hm-gardnr/resource/count-mature-type.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Sorry you feel that way.

It is just a result of a couple days effort of seed shopping that I thought I would share. Renee's was not perfect. There was one item out of stock (Sage) that was not listed as such on the web site. When I received the order there was no Sage. I was planning on planting ASAP so I called them, they said the Sage would be sent soon as it arrived, I said don't send as I would get it locally, they said ok. Low and behold a day later the Sage showed up. I'm not sure if I was even charged for it or not?

Again I spent hours on line looking for the best deal on the broadest variety of herbs I could find from a single vendor and thought I would share what I found given the title of this post "Where to Buy Seeds". I have no affiliation with Rennet's apart from spending a bunch of money on a order a couple of weeks ago. I thought the post of value.

I'm not much of a forum poster (because of the typical reasons) in general and starting to posting here was stepping out a bit. Looks like this might not be the forum for me. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sorry you feel that way.

It is just a result of a couple days effort of seed shopping that I thought I would share. Renee's was not perfect. There was one item out of stock (Sage) that was not listed as such on the web site. When I received the order there was no Sage. I was planning on planting ASAP so I called them, they said the Sage would be sent soon as it arrived, I said don't send as I would get it locally, they said ok. Low and behold a day later the Sage showed up. I'm not sure if I was even charged for it or not?

Again I spent hours on line looking for the best deal on the broadest variety of herbs I could find from a single vendor and thought I would share what I found given the title of this post "Where to Buy Seeds". I have no affiliation with Rennet's apart from spending a bunch of money on a order a couple of weeks ago. I thought the post of value.

I'm not much of a forum poster (because of the typical reasons) in general and starting to posting here was stepping out a bit. Looks like this might not be the forum for me. Thanks

A lot of folks in here have a vry dry sense of humor,including me but it is all good intentioned.

we like smiling gardeners!

Now , tell me what herbs you are growjng and if they are not for flavouring food, what can we do witn them? This sounds interesting!

Ask a Question