What is your favorite perennial?

Reaction score
One of my favorites is the Bleeding Heart. I used to have one that was planted on the south side of my garage, and it grew beautifully. I had planted Baby's Breath alongside it, and would take cuttings of both and put them in a vase on the table. They still grow nicely there, but I have since moved on (divorce does that). I now have a Bleeding Heart in a small flower bed on the north side of my house, but it doesn't get near as big as the other one did.

Do you like Bleeding Hearts, or do you have other favorites?

dim

Reaction score
Hakonechloa macra Aureola (japanese forest grass) (every garden should have at least 12 of these on a bordr edge in semi shade (they do ok in full sun aswell but keep watered):

http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/Grasses Images&Files/2009PerPlantofYearFlyerHakone.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and Heuchera Georgia peach (does well in sun aswell but keep watered during dry spells)

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/gardeners/heucherageorgiapeach-p-131.html

planted together with heucherella solar power (does well in full sun but keep watered during the dry):
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/gardeners/heucherellasolarpower-p-267.html

plant the heuchera/heucherella in mass (one red one, one yellow one, one red one, one yellow one etc

the heuchera /heucherella are evergreen, and the leaf colours change as the seasons change ....

Reaction score
We have several bleeding hearts here as well. My Mom was given two many years ago. We planted them in the same bed, within four feet of each other. One grows so fast in the spring that I believe you could literally see it grow. Each year it grows into a big busy thing and is just lovely. The other never grew nearly as well. I transplanted it one year (I can't just toss out a living plant, even if it's not doing what I hoped it would do in my garden.) Since then the smaller one has grown a few "babies", some of which I've transplanted to other areas. At any rate, I love bleeding hearts, too. They are just so graceful.

I have several columbine that I brought home from a community gardening project. (They were going to be thrown away...I can't let that happen to OTHER people's plants, either! LOL) They have also self propagated. The flowers aren't as showy as many I've seen, but I love the way the leaves look before they flower. The only trouble is the chipmunks love the way the leaves TASTE.....by the time the plants start to flower the plants have been stripped clean of leaves!

Hens and chicks! I have to say I just love the way mine have filled in, in the corner of my flower bed. I just transplanted a few to the rocks surrounding our bird bath. Looking forward to seeing how they fill out there, too!

Reaction score
I like crocuses. I think it's cool how they go dormant for a while and then suddenly they all open at once and you get instant color.
My current hated apartment that I'm always bitching about has crocuses aplenty, so I might plant a couple of bulbs in pots to take with me to the next apartment.

Here's a pic I found that looks like the crocuses around here.

84e1e8380b7ea5ee24759465b8a9ec68.jpg

Reaction score
One of mine is the Lupine, (inspired by: "the Lupine Lady") Its a great book!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I like Verbascum phoeniceum and Rudbeckias

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love many perennials so it's really hard to pick a favorite, but currently I'm in love with tulips:

tulips-12.jpg

I also adore daffodils, they always look so cheerful, I smile when I look at them:

Daffodils.jpg

Reaction score
My favorite one is the Kalanchoe, I used to have all the colors you can imagine! It's such a missfortune that they are a pest magnet, you have to keep checking them during the hot months!

Jed

Reaction score
You beat me to them claudine. I adore daffodils. They are just about to bloom now.
25 years ago, a friend and I picked a couple of buckets each of them from vacant rural land bundled them up into bunches of ten and walked down either sides of street in the city and entered businesses offering them for sale at $2 a bunch .Quite a lot more in today's value. We sold the lot and made about $80 each.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's great. It must be a nice thing to do, to walk, selling daffodils, it sounds pretty romantic. I love the flowers, they're beautiful, just looking at the pictures feels like spring:

fotolia_13499987_subscription_xl_191539.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Great pictures. Very eye candy. I have quite a few favourite but i do not know their names =(

Hello! Take a few pictures of your favorite perennials and we will tell you the names. Or try to describe them, maybe somebody here will be able to guess:)

Reaction score
I love tulips but I dis like how they bloom for less then a month ( please correct me if im wrong) . but Im in ottawa right now and i love going to the tulip festival.

Reaction score
I don't have any particular favorite, when it comes to perennials, but do have a long list of ones that I like a lot.

Dim, you mention Hakonechloa Macra and Heuchera which are two of the plants that I like a lot, and often use, as accent plants in semi shady conditions
Hakonechloa Macra with its purple stems and arching green striped, bright yellow leaves, aging to reddish brown in the autumn and winter, is such a versatile plant, that seems to compliment just about any plant combination. Something I have noticed with this plant, is how everyone who sees it, always wants to stroke it or run their fingers through its leaves.

Heuchera is a plant that I sometimes put with Hakonechola Macra, as they make a lovely combination, but my favorite Heuchera combination, for either a container, gravel bed or border, is Heuchera ' Plum Pudding ' or ' Palace Purple ' with
Violas particularly limey yellow ones, which look stunning against the deep wine colored leaves of the Heuchera.

Ask a Question