What is your favorite houseplant and why?

Reaction score
My favourite house plant is a Chinese Evergreen. My phone will not let me upload a picture of mine. I love it because it gets so full, it's hearty, and the leaves are beautiful. A waxy leaf that is dark green on the outside and a sea foam green through the middle. The Chinese Evergreen stands up to children and pets, which is great.

Reaction score
I grow my aloe vera indoors and I would consider it to be my favorite houseplant being that I used it for almost every ailment. I used it for sunburns,dandruff,hair mask,pimples and to detoxify; I cherish this plant dearly.

Reaction score
Not too good with houseplants here, especially y'all with those gorgeous pictures, but my favorite houseplant I haven't killed yet actually grows on my back porch. It's a small Angel wing begonia. Hasn't bloomed yet....probably doesn't get enough sun to bloom a lot, but the shape of leaves and their color is enough for me.
1404507501537.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm...for some reason I've always loved the look of a spiderplant. Not so much the feel of it, but the look of it is quite nice. Much prefer when it's darker green like this one rather than the weird yellow/green one you find often

spider_plant1.jpg

Reaction score
The Alocasia is so beautiful. The plant has such beautiful shaped leaves and the white vein is so dramatic. My favorite house plant is the African Violet. It is available with so many different color flowers, both single and double blooms. And there are a few different colored leaves too. I find them easy to propogate and have many that I grew from leaves.

Reaction score
The Alocasia is so beautiful. The plant has such beautiful shaped leaves and the white vein is so dramatic. My favorite house plant is the African Violet. It is available with so many different color flowers, both single and double blooms. And there are a few different colored leaves too. I find them easy to propogate and have many that I grew from leaves.
So that's what those flowers are called! I see them all the time around here, but I never think to actually get the name of them, and when I do the owners never know, just saying that they're lovely flowers.

Reaction score
My favourite indoor plant is probably the umbrella plant, or 'schefflera'. I love it for it's large glossy leaves. There are about seven leaves on each stem, formed together in an umbrella shape. I like it because it grows to a good height too.

umbrella_plant_closeup.jpg

Reaction score
Here's my Alocasia, I can post the image now.. the second image shows 3 small shoots growing. They sprouted about 10-12 weeks ago. As you stated, the "bold graphic veins on the leaves," are what really sets this plant apart. The Alocasia Polly is one of those plants that, if you can keep her healthy for at least 10 years, it will become a show stopper. Even though this is not my favorite plant, and it's not the largest I have, by no means, when people visit for the first time, this is the plant that usually captures their attention..

Alocasia.jpg

baby-alocasia.jpg

I'm starting to get spider mites on my Alocasia Polly. They leave this thin layer of cobweb looking stuff on the leaves. Are my plants definitely marked for death or is there a way to get rid of the bugs?

Reaction score
I have a weakness for succulents of any kind. I like the fact I can simply forget about them without having to worry about them dying on me! They seem to do better after some neglect actually. Lol.

Reaction score
African Violet, even though they are very delicate. They will grow forever and never get out of control. They are such beautiful plants that rarely dry out near a sunny window and just fill the room with beauty.

Someone suggested that African Violets would be a good plant for the sunny windowsill in my bathroom. Do you think they would be okay with the humidity in a bathroom? My bathroom window lets in a lot of sun and I think it would be nice to have a plant there but I don't know which plants are bathroom friendly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My all-time favorite house plants are Orchids. However, the flowers don’t last as long as I would like them too. There is something about an Orchid that is clean cut and makes a room look so modern.

I also am a fan of bamboo plants. I especially like the curved bamboo stalks. I feel like bamboo is very easy to keep and it grows pretty fast. I like the way it looks on a windowsill.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I love succulents and cactis.. they never die... winter spring summer or fall.

Attachments

• 20151107_082103.jpg
    20151107_082103.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its hard to say what my favorite house plant is, I think it would be my Cymbidium orchid because its has a spike on it and should bloom by the first of the year.

Ask a Question