What is your favorite houseplant and why?

Reaction score
Those are gorgeous plants. Never heard of the Eurphobia Milli, I'm wondering what region they grow in and if they are only available at nurseries in early Spring? Around about Feb 2013 I'm going to begin planning on my backyard, shade garden. From the pictures above, the Eurphobia looks to be a full-sun type of plant, but I'm not sure.

Actually, the third flower, the yellow flower to the far right, looks like the yellow flowers in the large picture of the Orchids. Is it the same flower; is it part of the Orchid?

Yes , you are right.. this plant is a succulent needing a good amount of direct sunlight. Euphorbia milii comes in all shades it is also called the crown of thorns.. the yellow flower is also euphorbia milli.. they have long sharp thorns.. so you may have to be careful where you plant these flowers... These are plants of the arid region.. and don't tolerate over watering.. a well drained potting mix is what they lov, feed them twice weekly and they keep you happy with bunches of flowers...

Reaction score
17143535b4e00da1dc035ac619baa663bcf663c7.jpg

copyright 2013 SproutSprite

The person who gave me this plant called it a: 'Spider Plant'. I have seen similar plants in the same 'Spider' family that had light green stripes on the leaves. This plant is one of my favorites because it can withstand the abuse that my cats and dog tend to deliver to potted plants.

Notice that my daughter made a plant identification marker for it!

Reaction score
Here's my Alocasia Polly.. this is a slow grower but I am seeing progress .. the leaves are big, bold, and beautiful..

Alocasia Polly .. (tried to post it as a Flickr image)

I have the same plant, an Alocasia. That and my taro plants are my 2 favorite plants. My favorite thing about the Alocasia is that it's not a common green color, it's almost blueish green. I also like how bold and graphic the veins on the leaves look, almost like zebra stripes.

Reaction score
I have the same plant, an Alocasia. That and my taro plants are my 2 favorite plants. My favorite thing about the Alocasia is that it's not a common green color, it's almost blueish green. I also like how bold and graphic the veins on the leaves look, almost like zebra stripes.

Here's my Alocasia, I can post the image now.. the second image shows 3 small shoots growing. They sprouted about 10-12 weeks ago. As you stated, the "bold graphic veins on the leaves," are what really sets this plant apart. The Alocasia Polly is one of those plants that, if you can keep her healthy for at least 10 years, it will become a show stopper. Even though this is not my favorite plant, and it's not the largest I have, by no means, when people visit for the first time, this is the plant that usually captures their attention..

Alocasia.jpg

baby-alocasia.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow.. that looks gorgeous. It's hard to choose only one but if I had to then my favorite houseplant would be Peace Lily! I love the way it looks and it's purifying property.

Reaction score
Mine is not nearly as exotic or pretty as some of the other favorites mentioned on here but I love my aloe vera plant. I like it because it is functional for me, I use it in juices and also for burns, blemishes and cuts. It is also very easy to take care of.

Reaction score
African Violet, even though they are very delicate. They will grow forever and never get out of control. They are such beautiful plants that rarely dry out near a sunny window and just fill the room with beauty.

Reaction score
My favorite house plant is my calla lily. I used to keep it indoors during the winter, but this winter was really warm, so I left it outdoors during the entire winter!

Apparently she liked it, because it started blossoming again after many years of looking so sickly and no blossoms. Yup, so far it has given me 4 flowers in just 2 months or so!!!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite house plant is the ficus, it is just so graceful to me. The elephant ears plants are pretty although they are considered a house plant.

It is hard to decide because most plants to me can come inside and be considered a house plant.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love all of my plants but my house would not feel right if I did not have a peace lily growing someplace in the house. I have always had a peace lily because they are fairly easy to care for and when they do bloom they are beautiful.

I have been in places that did not have enough light to support most plants but the lily still grew.

Reaction score
Wow.. that looks gorgeous. It's hard to choose only one but if I had to then my favorite houseplant would be Peace Lily! I love the way it looks and it's purifying property.

My favorite houseplants are the ones I can actually keep alive haha. Here is my Angel wing begonia.

Attachments

• IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 439
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My favorite houseplants are the ones I can actually keep alive haha. Here is my Angel wing begonia.
:D The plant looks quite healthy! I agree, it's a tough job to take care of indoor plants. My Nolfork island pine died recently and I shifted my spider plant into my balcony! Now I only have peace lily inside my house!

Reaction score
Here's my Alocasia Polly.. this is a slow grower but I am seeing progress .. the leaves are big, bold, and beautiful..

Alocasia Polly .. (tried to post it as a Flickr image)

I have an Alocasia Polly too and I love the blue green leaves, but I recently had to trim and spray the hell out of it because spider mites were building webs on the leaves.
I trimmed it almost down to nothing to get rid of the infestation but I already have some new growth that appears to be bug free.

Reaction score
My favorite houseplant is the Phalaenopsis Orchid. I used to see this beautiful flower in Publix or at a nursery and just admire its beauty but I really never thought about buying it. I saw it as a decorative plant that was not a good candidate to keep at home; I saw it more as a plant to purchase as a gift. A couple years ago, on a whim, I purchased one that was in bloom. Fortunately the blooms lasted a couple months and I managed to place the orchid in the right spot.

After the blooms fell off I started to see new growth from the leaves. I discovered by watching and researching the orchid that when it flowers, the leaves don't grow because the plants' energy goes toward the flowers and stems. Once the orchid has bloomed, the energy goes toward the stems and leaves. Orchid roots are beautiful and majestic in their own right because they can actually grow above the soil, and don't need soil to grow. Therefore, when you have no blooms or your orchid, you can still appreciate the plants overall beauty.

So what's your favorite houseplant?

73214927_c3549cca5b_b.jpg
We have many but do really like Aloe because there are so many uses for it. that is the first one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures, guys! I don't know if I could pick one, but I sure do love my lilies and orchids!

Ask a Question