What are the easiest flowers to grow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are some good suggestions there, and it has been a while since you posted, but it is seed time of year, so I am going to make a suggestion. Buy cheap ones. Unlike most things expensive plants does not mean better plants, it just means they are harder to grow, so the nurseryman or seedsman has to charge more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cosmos, Zinnias and Sunflowers are all super easy from seed.
Sweet peas are easy too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey

Ok I'm not very good yet at gardening. I make some things die but I dunno why :(

I joined here coz no one I know likes gardening. And my mom made me do some gardening for her and I thought it would be boring but I found it really really relaxing

So I want to plant some nice flowers but ones that I won't kill easy

I'm near San Francisco and I can buy some good soil if they need it

Lauren
Here are a few suggestions:
  • Marigolds - These flowers are easy to grow and come in a variety of colors. They are also great at repelling pests like mosquitoes and aphids.
  • Zinnias - These colorful flowers come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can tolerate hot and dry conditions. They also attract pollinators like butterflies and bees.
  • Sunflowers - These cheerful flowers can grow quite tall and come in a variety of sizes and colors. They are easy to grow from seeds and require minimal care.
  • Petunias - These popular annuals come in a wide range of colors and can bloom throughout the summer. They are relatively low maintenance and can tolerate both sun and partial shade.
When planting your flowers, make sure to choose a location that receives adequate sunlight and has well-draining soil. If the soil in your garden is poor, you can improve it by adding compost or purchasing good-quality soil from a garden center.
Also, make sure to water your plants regularly, but don't overwater them as this can lead to root rot. And don't forget to deadhead (remove) spent blooms to encourage new growth and prolong the blooming season.
With a little care and attention, you can enjoy a beautiful and thriving garden!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Ok I'm not very good yet at gardening. I make some things die but I dunno why :(

I joined here coz no one I know likes gardening. And my mom made me do some gardening for her and I thought it would be boring but I found it really really relaxing

So I want to plant some nice flowers but ones that I won't kill easy

I'm near San Francisco and I can buy some good soil if they need it

Lauren
Hi I would say all soil will return to what it was originally so whatever you do with it it will return back to what it was. If you got clay soil then it will always return no matter if you take away a ton of it but it can be improved with organic matter but you will always have a fight on your hands.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would say all soil will return to what it was originally so whatever you do with it it will return back to what it was. If you got clay soil then it will always return no matter if you take away a ton of it but it can be improved with organic matter but you will always have a fight on your hands.
So check out your soil when you find out what it is then you will know how to improve it some plants do better in containers where you can easily adjust the soil conditions. If your soil doesn't drain easily it will rot plants in cold wet winters. And some plants just don't do well where you've put them for what ever reason so you have read up about how they like to grow find out about them where they originate from to find out how to grow it properly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sunflowers are great, but be aware they put something into the soil that inhibits other plants growing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nicotiana get "mosaic disease" I found out spread by me brushing past them when I grew "nicotiana affins" a weird one that. Great plant though just don't grow it where your going to brush past it. Great smell!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sunflowers are great, but be aware they put something into the soil that inhibits other plants growing.
Oliver how far away should they be placed away from other plants to avoid this? I had sunflowers mixed in among my moonflowers and amaranthus last summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Small sunflowers mixed in with moon flower vine and close by amaranthus

Attachments

• E3AF231C-4DB7-46A3-BA2C-EC405C467D30.jpeg
    E3AF231C-4DB7-46A3-BA2C-EC405C467D30.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 92036E07-85BC-4D19-A87D-524122A7D0AD.jpeg
    92036E07-85BC-4D19-A87D-524122A7D0AD.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 3
  • F54EDAD4-97ED-49BE-9836-BE7463BD1F14.jpeg
    F54EDAD4-97ED-49BE-9836-BE7463BD1F14.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oliver how far away should they be placed away from other plants to avoid this? I had sunflowers mixed in among my moonflowers and amaranthus last summer.
I would plant them in a group on their own somewhere you don't brush past them but can sit out in the evening to take in their perfume. It's hard to know how big these plants get when you plant a mini plant not realising you are going to be pinning them back everyday in summer if you grow them too close to a pathway. My garden is different having a pathway right thru the middle to get access to my monster plants. They maybe weeds as someone pointed out but living in u.k. you count your blessings as I do they are evening heavenly scented wonders. So I would plant them tucked away where you can sit out and enjoy their smell in the evenings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TBH I'm not sure, I became aware of it when the missus had problems the following year after having a group of small sunflowers. Not far I would think, most movement of things in the soil is vertically rather than horizontally. I can't remember what she replaced with, but they did miserably for ages despite me top dressing, then the badger dug them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TBH I'm not sure, I became aware of it when the missus had problems the following year after having a group of small sunflowers. Not far I would think, most movement of things in the soil is vertically rather than horizontally. I can't remember what she replaced with, but they did miserably for ages despite me top dressing, then the badger dug them up.
I think to be on the safe side I’ll grow the smaller varieties in a big bucket this year. I doubt the mammoth sunflowers would appreciate being grown in a bucket so I’ll skip those! :D

Ask a Question