Super Chilli - the easiest chilli for beginners!

Reaction score
As someone asked me about chilli plants in the introduction section, I thought I would post my response here where more people are like to see it, and hopefully benefit. :)

If anyone is looking to grow their first chilli plant, I would recommend you start off with a variety called 'Super Chilli'. They're quite compact, and would suit a kitchen windowsill very well. They like a greenhouse, but if the weather allows for it they will happily live on a sunny patio. I've even overwintered some of these super chilli plants, and they've been even more prolific the following year. Another big plus point with these is they're almost impossible to kill!! Just give them a sandy(ish) compost, feed with a good tomato food such as Tomarite, and watch them grow! Remember not to over water though - chillies prefer to be a little on the drier side, so water with care, and at the root is always better.

If you're new to growing chillies I would recommend you start with these as the results will spur you on. The fruits look beautiful as they are growing, and if you leave them to turn red, the resulting heat is pretty impressive too.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
ChiliGirl thank you for this informative post on growing chillies, most of what you mentioned is new to me such as the compost that should be used and of course i will definitely remember not to over water as this is something i tend to do with my plants. It seems that chillies are easier to grow than i previously thought so i am thinking about giving it a try.

Reaction score
ChiliGirl thank you for this informative post on growing chillies, most of what you mentioned is new to me such as the compost that should be used and of course i will definitely remember not to over water as this is something i tend to do with my plants. It seems that chillies are easier to grow than i previously thought so i am thinking about giving it a try.

You're welcome, kammy! I am quite passionate about chilli growing, and I could talk about it forever. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people fail where the watering is concerned - I was the same when I started. I have a little feel of the compost now before I give them any water, just to make absolutely certain. Watering at the bottom of the plant, i.e. in the saucer, will encourage the root to become stronger, as well as keeping the plant from becoming stressed due to over-moisture. The sandiness of the compost will also help with drainage, which will in turn keep the plant on the drier side of moist.

If I can help with any other questions you have, please feel free to ask. :)

Reaction score
I will surely holler at you if encounter on problems while planting my chilli peppers and i will take all your tips into consideration...thanks much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing you knowledge with us, ChilliGirl. Your post is very informative and interesting to read:) Personally, I've never tried to grow chili plants, because my miniature roses took over all the space available in my room:p But my boyfriend used to grow chili peppers. I loved his plant, it looked very pretty. Unfortunately, we don't know know what variety it was.

Reaction score
I have never heard about super chillies, not a variety of chili that is familiar to me and I come from a country where chilly is almost a religion :love:. But I'm guessing the chili you are talking about is of the same variety as my dad grows :D You are right, they are so easy to grow! My dad loves to grow his own chilies and tomatoes :)

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing you knowledge with us, ChilliGirl. Your post is very informative and interesting to read:) Personally, I've never tried to grow chili plants, because my miniature roses took over all the space available in my room:p But my boyfriend used to grow chili peppers. I loved his plant, it looked very pretty. Unfortunately, we don't know know what variety it was.

Thank you, Claudine. :) I'm very passionate about chilli growing, as you can probably tell! I don't claim to know everything about it, but whenever I learn something, I love to pass the knowledge on to others. And I agree that chilli plants can look so pretty with all of their colorful fruits.

I have never heard about super chillies, not a variety of chili that is familiar to me and I come from a country where chilly is almost a religion :love:. But I'm guessing the chili you are talking about is of the same variety as my dad grows :D You are right, they are so easy to grow! My dad loves to grow his own chilies and tomatoes :)

Yes, they are probably known as a different name where you are. :) It must be so wonderful to live somewhere that is passionate about chillies - and I'm guessing you have the right climate too! ;) Here in the UK it can be much more of a challenge; I start my seeds off in February, but I have a light box system in place to give them 16 hours of light every day. Then there's the temperature and other challenges. I do love it though, and it's certainly worth it. One of the many reasons I love the super chilli plants is that they never let me down, and I always have some chillies, even if all of my others fail. They dry really well too ;)

Ask a Question