Weirdest looking flower ever?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found another very weird plant, it's called Hydnora Africana. It grows in South Africa. As you can see in the picture, it doesn't have any leaves.
To be honest, I don't find it pretty at all, it reminds me of a dinosaur's head:LOL:

Hydnora+africana+at+Cornel's+Kop.JPG

Reaction score
I just watched Tremors, last night, and that Hydnora Africana reminds me of those killer worms! That is a really, really creepy plant. It is beyond amazing to think of all the weird plants that grow everywhere. I enjoy seeing all these pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, yes, it definitely looks like a killer worm:LOL:

I found another weird and really interesting plant.
Welwitschia Mirabilis grows on deserts in Africa. It's creepy! It doesn't look too alive:

8179848027_ce7bb25396_o.jpg

namib_-_08.jpg

Would you want to grow it in your garden?:LOL:

Reaction score
Most of these flowers aren't "freaky" to me... I actually like them. Does that make me weird? Probably LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most of these flowers aren't "freaky" to me... I actually like them. Does that make me weird? Probably LOL

@wahmbrenda, It makes you appreciative of the complexity and diversity of nature :)

@claudine, that Welwitschia Mirabilis is by far one of the weirdest things I have ever seen! It looks like what happens to a plant after being devastated by winter! That Hydnora Africana is just plain freaky! ( @zigs did you see?) I mean that thing looks like it could bite you!

@Mariam, that red octopus thing is indeed weird!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:)
@claudine, that Welwitschia Mirabilis is by far one of the weirdest things I have ever seen! It looks like what happens to a plant after being devastated by winter! That Hydnora Africana is just plain freaky! ( @zigs did you see?) I mean that thing looks like it could bite you!
!
Haha, I know, they're both so weird! At first, when I came across these pictures, I couldn't believe that they're real plants. Especially Welwitschia Mirabilis looks bizarre. It reminds me of a pile of whithered leaves and garbage. I don't find it pretty at all.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@wahmbrenda, It makes you appreciative of the complexity and diversity of nature :)

@Mariam, that red octopus thing is indeed weird!

I've seen it or something very simliar in Kew Gardens in London :)

Reaction score
I know, passion flower is so unique! I've never seen it it person, but I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint me. It always looks so stunning in pictures.

Does anyone know the name of this flower?:

weird_flowers.jpg

It's very pretty and weird, I haven't seen anything like it before.

That flower looks almost ethereal :) very pretty. Not sure about the name, but it reminds me of a fucsia flower I saw over here a while ago.

Reaction score
Wow, these really are some weird looking flowers- but beautiful nonetheless. I don't think I have ever seen these in person before. They would definitely make for an interesting flower in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, it's very possible that it's a fuchsia flower. Some plants are so amazing! Looking at them could never bore me:)
Here is a picture of weird and gorgeous cabbage flowers:

unsusal-flowers.jpg

Reaction score
The pictures of the flowers are so beautiful. I love the ones of the Passion Flowers. They are one of my favorites. The red one that looks like lips is especially interesting.. It always amazes me the variety of flowers that are found in nature.

Reaction score
I found another very weird plant, it's called Hydnora Africana. It grows in South Africa. As you can see in the picture, it doesn't have any leaves.
To be honest, I don't find it pretty at all, it reminds me of a dinosaur's head:LOL:

Hydnora+africana+at+Cornel's+Kop.JPG
Those are pretty freaky looking. When I googled Hydnora Africana there are a lot of various stages that this plant goes through.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those are pretty freaky looking. When I googled Hydnora Africana there are a lot of various stages that this plant goes through.
Could you paste links to these pictures?:) I would like to see all the stages that Hydnora Africana goes through. It must be very interesting! It's such a weird and exotic plant, I've never seen it in person, but I want to learn more about it.

Reaction score
Of all the really quite amazing and interesting plants so far - I have to say that although I've seen it many times before - my favorite has to be the one that Becky posted - " The Lipstick Plant or Hookers Lips Plant " - as whenever I see that plant it always makes me smile - as those red luscious lips - just look so kissable :D

Here a few more really weird and amazing plants to add to the collection and although I'm not sure that I would want to have this flowering vine in my garden - it would certainly be a talking point

Aristolochia Salvadorensis - The Darth Vader Flower

Strange Flowers - Darth Vader Flowers.jpg

Strange Flowers - Aristolochia Salvadorensis - Darth Vader Flower.jpg

which I think would probably look even more intriguing if you were to plant it with this unusual fungus

Xylaria Polymorpha - Dead Mans Fingers

Strange Flowers - Xylaria Polymorpha - Dead Man's Fingers.jpg

Reaction score
Trellum, it's very possible that it's a fuchsia flower. Some plants are so amazing! Looking at them could never bore me:)
Here is a picture of weird and gorgeous cabbage flowers:

unsusal-flowers.jpg
Those are gorgeous. Are they normal, edible cabbages or are they some kind of exotic flower that looks like a cabbage? They look like a hybrid of red cabbage and regular cabbage.

Ask a Question