Weirdest looking flower ever?

Reaction score
ChanellG, this picture you posted isn't showing up for me.
Becky, what a lovely flower:p
This one is pretty weird too - but also really beautiful:

image_1.jpg

zOOmg! I grow those! :D That's Passiflora Caerulea. It's not very common since most Passifloras are purple. Btw, the orange/yellow fruits can be used in fruit salads and are awesome on Pavlova (a meringue cake)!

I've seen most of these flowers so here's what they are:

Post #1 and #2 = Psychotria Elata or the Kissing Lips Flower.
Post #3 and #9 = Passiflora Caerulea.
Post #20 = Tigridia or Mexican Tiger Flower. It blooms for only 1 day every year so you have to check it every day or you can miss it.
Post #21 = Raflessia. A grapevine parasite, lol. It has no stem, leaves, or even roots and the flower smells like... something you don't wanna smell, lol.
Post #23 Top = Tacca Chantrieri or Black Bat Flower.
Post #23 Middle = Amorphophallus Titanum or Corpse Flower. It blooms every 7-10 years and smells just like a real human corpse.
Post #30 = A Fuchsia Flower. That variety is Southern Belle Cecile.

Dunno about the other 2 flowers in the thread but another really weird flower = Peruvian lilies. Dunno if I can post links yet but you can Google it. They're easy to grow from bulbs. I know cause I've grown them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sevski - you are great at recognizing flowers!:D Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, I had no idea that it's a Fuchsia Flower in the Post #30. It looks so exotic to me, I haven't seen this variety before:)
I googled Peruvian lilies. They really are weird, but also very beautiful. Here is a picture for those who don't know what do they look like:

peruvian-lilies-flowers-white-and-pink-color-print-james-bo-insogna.jpg

Reaction score
When I was younger, my family lived way out in the country. Our road/edge of woods were filled with passion flowers. They are easily the most gorgeous thing to see in the country. I never thought about growing them myself. Wow, that one flower was HUGE! It looks like it might eat that person! Look at what I found. I am not sure what it is, but it is from Malaysia. It looks like a red octopus hanging out in a tree.
weird_plant.jpg

Speaking of foreign lands, look at what Singapore has! This is beyond beautiful and magical! I believe it is called OCBC Skyway at Gardens by the Bay. I am in love.
supertrees-ocbc-skyway-gardens-by-the-bay-singapore__big.jpg

qDYavuQ5V5U-ZfQcIlU4xZLfckTR7dYSeFNyPO6Y71tsSR48Uy-HWLWUTEi37uBV2VXIbxfT5WUdNeNAHnjpFCCW=s285-c

Reaction score
@ Claudine,
Yeah, there's so many varieties of Fuchsia flowers, I don't think anyone knows all of them! :D
Those Peruvian lilies look really awesome so thanks for that! :) But I made a typo. What I grew was Peruvian Daffodils. Dunno why I typed "lillies". I'll try to post a picture. I know I shot more pictures but I can't find them.

12109716945_afacdbfb01_o.jpg

@ Mariam,
We're almost in the country too cause we can drive for 5-10 minutes then there's nothing but trees and open space everywhere. :D
And Passion vines are really easy to grow. If you plant them in the spring then you never have to plant them again cause they keep coming back every year. :) Those supertrees in Singapore really own! They have the coolest stuff there and the Transformers exhibit they had was amazing!
Dunno what the red tentacles are on that bamboo tho. There's 6 people here that grow bamboo and I've never seen anything like that. :eek: They could be another plant growing on the culm or even a marker. 2 guys I know mark their bamboo culms to remember how old they are cause if they're timber bamboos then they don't wanna cut them too early cause they'll be too hollow.
It could still be something growing on the bamboo but not a bamboo flower. Bamboo flowers look like brown rushes and they only bloom at the top.

EDIT:
Here's a picture I shot of one of my Passion vine blooms:

12111494324_1a4bbb1640_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sevski - Wow! Peruvian Daffodils look even weirder than Peruvian Lilies! In my opinion they're gorgeous, I would love to grow such a unique plant in my garden, especially since I've always had a soft spot for white flowers:D
Your Passion vine bloom is so pretty! Thank you for sharing the picture.
Mariam - is this weird red thing a plant?:LOL: It looks like a scary animal! I'm so glad that it doesn't grow in my climate zone:p

Reaction score
That Daffodil was beautiful, how did you come across it? I would love to have some out of the ordinary stuff in my garden, but I never know where to get plants online. I never see things like this at my local plant buying places. I am adding passion vines to my wishlist, I love the fact that they come back year after year. I have another weird, but gorgeous, flower to share. It is from Japan, but I am sure other places might have them. They are called Kiku, or Spider Chrysanthemums. Now, I have seen regular Chrysanthemums, but these really take the cake!
06130803japan-flowers.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The name "Spider Chrysanthemum" is rather horrible, but these flowers look the most beautiful!:love: I'd call them "Umbrella Chrysanthemums", it would sound much prettier. They really remind me of colorful umbrellas. I'd gladly plant them in my garden:)

Reaction score
That Daffodil was beautiful, how did you come across it? I would love to have some out of the ordinary stuff in my garden, but I never know where to get plants online. I never see things like this at my local plant buying places. I am adding passion vines to my wishlist, I love the fact that they come back year after year. I have another weird, but gorgeous, flower to share. It is from Japan, but I am sure other places might have them. They are called Kiku, or Spider Chrysanthemums. Now, I have seen regular Chrysanthemums, but these really take the cake!
06130803japan-flowers.jpg

Those Spider Mums are awesome and I want some! :D They look like fireworks!
I found the Peruvian daffodils online somewhere. I'll look for a link and post it. :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you ever heard of Sea Poison Tree? It looks so weird! All parts of this plant are poisonous. So, even though I find it pretty, I would never plant it in my garden, it's too dangerous.

barringtonia_asiatica.jpg

5824033584_7d44469b55_z.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, I am loving this thread! That Sea Poison Tree looks like a firework, too. Especially with the little golden dots at the all over the flower. Thank you in advance, if you find the link. I look forward to having a future weird flower garden. :)

Reaction score
Yes, this picture I posted is a passion flower...I think it looks quite strange from every angle but I agree - it's stunning. It looks like a piece of art. Here is another picture:

Passion_flower_blooms.JPG

And a close up:

1346250803_IMG_2464.jpg
Without a doubt I really find passion flowers to be spectacularly unique and beautiful. The colors on those flowers are stunning, absolutely stunning. What a wonderful photograph, thanks for posting it.

Reaction score
Oh, it must be wonderful to have such strange and beautiful flowers growing just like that, on a fence:)
Here is another strange flower:

dziwny-kwiat-2_143_29.jpg
That's gorgeous, I know I have seen something like it but at this moment I can't recall what it is. What is the name of it and its origin? I would love to have something like that in my garden.

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Sea Poison Tree? It looks so weird! All parts of this plant are poisonous. So, even though I find it pretty, I would never plant it in my garden, it's too dangerous.

barringtonia_asiatica.jpg

5824033584_7d44469b55_z.jpg
Oooooh, I can't stand it! Another absolutely gorgeous photo! Thanks to all of you who have posted the photos; we are in the middle of yet another deep freeze and I needed to see some spectacular flowers to perk me up!!

Reaction score
ChanellG, this picture you posted isn't showing up for me.
Becky, what a lovely flower:p
This one is pretty weird too - but also really beautiful:

image_1.jpg
Almost looks like an alien space ship from another planet, really lovely picture. I looks like no matter which way that you turn the flower it would look good!

Ask a Question