Weirdest looking flower ever?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Was looking through stuff on Pinterest and came across this odd flower. If I saw this in nature, I'd be very afraid, lol. Not only does it look like something that would be dangerous, it looks like it could attack!

Meet Clerodendrum indicum:

Clerodendrum-indicum-5.jpg

That's just freaky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know why the photo isn't showing up, but I suppose you could google the name and come up with a viewable photo.

@Becky, that flower is quite interesting. Do you know what it's called? I'd hate to see it next to those peppers Zigs told us about, lol. There's an image that would give people some serious ideas!

I love passion flower vines! I'm trying to figure out a good spot to start one of my own.

Reaction score
@ Chanell, I am not able to see the picture and I googled the name Clerodendrum indicum only to find different kinds of flowers posted.
@ Becky.. that is weird and beautiful :)
@ Cludine .. that is passion flower taken from a weird angle.. i think it is one of the most beautiful flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, this picture I posted is a passion flower...I think it looks quite strange from every angle but I agree - it's stunning. It looks like a piece of art. Here is another picture:

Passion_flower_blooms.JPG

And a close up:

1346250803_IMG_2464.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Okay, I found more images of the one I mean, though the flower seems to go through stages of "ripening." Very odd. One of these definitely has to display for those of you who are overseas:

120px-Starr_060810-8484_Clerodendrum_indicum.jpg

50613758_scaled_416x278.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a google, i'd guessed that was the one you meant:) Very nice.

Reaction score
Was looking through stuff on Pinterest and came across this odd flower. If I saw this in nature, I'd be very afraid, lol. Not only does it look like something that would be dangerous, it looks like it could attack!

Meet Clerodendrum indicum:

Clerodendrum-indicum-5.jpg

That's just freaky!

I wasn't able to see your photo but I went on google images and found it. You are right, it is very freaky in appearance. I am quite certain it would look extremely different in person and I would also be afraid. I'm going to do some research on this flower becuse it looks dangerous and I love to travel--I wouldn't want to encounter this flower, touch it by accident then I'm in he hospital. I'd rather be on the safe side. There were some other posts with a flower that looks like lips. It was cute but it kind of creeped me out at the same time. I didn't know there were so many different flowers in this world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...You are right, it is very freaky in appearance. I am quite certain it would look extremely different in person and I would also be afraid... There were some other posts with a flower that looks like lips. It was cute but it kind of creeped me out at the same time. I didn't know there were so many different flowers in this world.

Great user name! I need something like that for my next adventure in online dating, lol. Are you new to the forum? Don't think I've seen you around before. You're right about the flower that looks like lips, lol. There are some strange things in the plant kingdom!

Reaction score
I really like that clerodenrum, I googled it too before I saw your pix further down the thread, found out it came from the Malay Archipelago originally, and is considered invasive in Florida (thats just the blog I picked up on). I've seen a plant like that growing wild in Turkey, though it was winter and so I don't know what the flowers looked like.

Agreed that the lips one is *weird* :p And I love passionflowers, you'd think they'd been made by an embroiderer, the detail in them :)

There's a lot of odd-looking stuff on this here planet :)

And oh dear, you got me going now - I googled "weird flowers" and although some of the stuff that came up I consider to be very normal, like Red Hot Pokers, others are Really Strange :)

This is a great thread!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
And oh dear, you got me going now - I googled "weird flowers" and although some of the stuff that came up I consider to be very normal, like Red Hot Pokers, others are Really Strange :)

This is a great thread!

Glad you're enjoying it! What were some of those weird flowers you discovered? I'm getting rather curious now myself. We all know already that not all flowers are attractive or even pleasant smelling.

Ask a Question