Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm sick. :(:(:( So many members wanting rain and I can't give it away.

The first Saturday of every month is Rufforth Auto Jumble day but the forecast yesterday stated 3C during the night and I always arrive on site at around 7am so I decided not to visit; it's on an open and very exposed WW2 airfield and the stalls inside the hanger can be colder than the stalls outside.

Yesterday whilst working on my computer mid afternoon a note was thrust through our letterbox; the four new composting bins had been delivered? I shot out of the back door and passed the four bins stacked neatly outside the rear extension as I headed down to the street; two guys in a big van were about to depart; I thanked them for delivering the bins but said I had requested a delivery date via email and now the bins had suddenly arrived. The guys hadn't knocked on our door or pressed the bell; our Yeti was parked in our driveway; they just delivered the bins and thrust the delivery note through the letterbox. My request for an email confirmation was clearly printed on the delivery note. You just can't get the staff these days.

Expecting a deep frost this morning I got up to rain; my theme tune "Why does it always rain on me" certainly holds true. I've now got four composting bins to set up in the garden but I need to dig out four terraces to accept the bins due to the steep slope. Everything is soaking wet and it's raining; if it quits raining then I'm working under trees so Gale obliges by blowing the trees ensuring I don't dry out; Grrrrrrrrrrrr I detest this dire climate and wish Blackie and Gale would pester someone else who would fully appreciate them; they've worn out their welcome from me and the 3C forecast has now been updated to 10C; sack all the weather forecasters and be done with it;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yorkshire and Humber
Forecast Summary
· Today
Cloud and rain will clear east through the morning, with sunny spells developing. A few showers are likely in the afternoon, mainly on the Pennines, and feeling chilly in the brisk wind.

· Tonight
A few showers are possible over the Pennines, otherwise it will be dry with clear spells and feeling quite chilly with a slight frost forming in places.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Bron and I live right against "The Pennines" so Blackie is here to stay.

Another day of doom and gloom wearing wellies getting taller as I traipse around the wet garden leaving a muddy trail in my wake whilst I receive yet another soaking from Blackie. Moaning; yes I'm moaning because there's no let up; I dream of hot dry summers days I enjoyed as a kid 65 years ago; global warming; Bahhhhhhhhh. Bring back the dense fogs and smogs then perhaps our summer would last more than two days?

The second picture is one of the Jays we love to have visit us.

Kind regards, Colin.

More rain..JPG
Jay..JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Squirrels certainly are good gardeners Logan; they are rapid at planting compared to me and they can dig better too. (y)

I complain about the constant rain here johnny Canoe but I'm glad it's not like your snow (YET). The forecasters predict a bad winter for us with temperatures down to -11C so we're in for an heat wave. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Squirrels certainly are good gardeners Logan; they are rapid at planting compared to me and they can dig better too. (y)

I complain about the constant rain here johnny Canoe but I'm glad it's not like your snow (YET). The forecasters predict a bad winter for us with temperatures down to -11C so we're in for an heat wave. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.
@Colin Have you been reading the papers again?;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We awoke to an overcast sky and mist in the air, but it has cleared now and is in the upper 70's.
MaryMary, I'd like to send you some of our Texas blue. I swear it's a different shade of blue sky than any other I've seen on three continents!
Colin, predictions are for a warmer and dryer winter for Texas. Trusting the forecasters as much as I do, I've laid in scratch and put up the heat lamps to keep the hens warm at night. The kittens (okay, they are six month old cats, but kittens always in my mind) will have a warm, dry, sheltered house, and I've taken in the tender herbs.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking Logan; I never buy papers but I do distress myself each morning as I glance online at the latest local bad news and criminal activity; the long term forecast also popped up saying we are in for a severe winter; perhaps this will be correct this winter but it's the same story every year; still the overpaid forecasters have to say something? :(

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/

Why do the media concentrate on bad news all the time OR SPORT? We watch very little normal TV but what we do watch is interrupted by begging adverts usually at mealtime showing starving kids abroad; of course we are sad about the plight of these kids but why are we made to feel guilty having grafted a lifetime to secure a decent lifestyle; we no longer trust charities. We do however support a couple of charities we do trust knowing our donation goes as intended and not to line someone's pocket. Christmas is upon us once again and we are pestered either watching TV or visiting stores. There's something drastically wrong when governments are buying bombs instead of feeding their starving?

Nice one marlingardener; you've got the same take on the weather forecasters as I have; perhaps we are better just looking out of our window for an accurate up to date weather inspection which at least we can get right? :)

Now I'm indoors working on my computer I've had to close the curtains due to being blinded by the sun; if I was to go outside the sun would be instantly replaced by my best chum Blackie.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
First the good news, it stopped snowing overnight. I spent 5hrs shoveling yesterday and 4hrs the day before. Bad news is that the temp is -18C.

I feel sorry for you. I think I have slept that many hours, trying to shake off my cold.. which is still giving me a runny face - eyes and nose..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, @johnny canoe and @Logan

Still have a little bit, but not as runny as the day before. I hope the 5 hours' of exercise have done you good, Johnny. 5 hours and it's only November ..

I never buy papers but I do distress myself each morning as I glance online at the latest local bad news and criminal activity; the long term forecast also popped up saying we are in for a severe winter; perhaps this will be correct this winter but it's the same story every year; still the overpaid forecasters have to say something? :(

I only read the free newspaper online, but I take everything it says with a pinch of salt. They all have agenda. News is distressing - especially with the partisan and tribal BBC. I listened to the first 3 minutes summary at the hour and won't watch any more.

Now, I get worried when my son goes out at night, terrorist car rampings, knife attacks, mental patient attacks and acid throwers.

They did say it's going to be cold and some clever people say so it should be and that's why it's called winter. Today is really going to be cold 5 to 9c.. Somehow, it's very warm in my house. I got up thinking it must be 6pm as I heard the pipes knocking..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Before I could answer your question, Logan, I felt an itch and then I sneezed, so you know I am not out of the wood yet. But at least, I don't have the involuntary runny nose and tears on the left of my face. Very strange cold is.. Can affect different parts of your face .. Thank you for asking.

They predicted a very cold next few months.. Finally, I plucked up my courage and turned round and made a cup of tea .. I am really scared of stories like @Larisa 's real one!

Going to plant take more cuttings today of my lime green heuchera .. I think I have now 3 different ones. Also some cuttings of my chrysanthemums. Going out to have some bargain hunts .. Can't wait till 10am.

Ask a Question