Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan for your suggestion. (y) If I get all the stones out I don't think I'll have a garden just a huge hole; since last year when I tackled the garden I've got rid of lots of bushes; grass; brambles; nettles; mile a minute vine; bracken; old stumps and two big hedges; now I think I've found a quarry but it all looks so much better now and was well overdue for a comprehensive makeover; new bushes/shrubs and trees on order; I've already done a lot of planting and am about to water again using the watering cans which is hard going but necessary; it keeps me fit and active and its nice to see the plants growing which thus far have survived the shock of hot sunshine.

MyHermes are excellent at normal deliveries but anything out of the ordinary they don't seem to cope at all; it doesn't take well over a week to check a depot for a parcel; before retirement I was in charge of an home trade despatch and although we manufactured electric motors I could locate any motor within minutes from being issued as an order right through to the customer; these motors ranged from ones I could lift with one hand up to motors at around 3 ton each. I admitted my mistakes regarding wrong address but I can't understand the problem now being compounded by MyHermes; we all make silly mistakes but this is now dragging on; I hope the parcel turns up sooner rather than later. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Blackies here; I was up the mountain watering the plants using the watering can when he arrived so now I'm wet too; with Gale putting a gentle breeze up the valley I suddenly felt chilled; I hope both Gale and Blackie aren't planning on staying because I was enjoying going outside without receiving the usual soaking from Blackie or being blown around by Gale. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's ok then, glad that you're getting your garden right.(y). Yes it's good exercise using the watering can, we do the same. It's been a long time since i used a hose. Wish we had some rain, the blueberries are on tap water, hellebores are going brown, had to water them.

Your parcel will turn up sometime.

Somebody else is having their front garden dug up for a larger drive. It gets me annoyed because they're small garden fronts and there's plenty of room for 2 cars as it is. There's only 2 of them and i worry about the wildlife.:(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-7-25_7-58-27.png

Plus ca change!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

upload_2018-7-25_9-2-5.png

Looks like Blackie and Gale are returning from their holiday; above is Friday's forecast which is more like summer to us. Break out the wellies.

I'm about to head into the workshop to do a little turning job on the engineering lathe for a chum then I'll be looking at the assorted exterior frame to wall joints which have opened up due to shock of drying out; there's always jobs need doing around a house.

Kind regards, Col.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At last Logan a message from MyHermes regarding the parcel; they've lost it saying I can lodge a claim? I've replied to their email thanking them and saying I won't be claiming. I've just tried to phone Jeff the recipient of the parcel whom I was being generous with in sending the machine parts with my compliments; an automated message stated call terminated; I lose the will to live.

This afternoon I was working in extremely hot sunshine doing pointing when UPS arrived across the street; the neighbours were out so the UPS guy visited their next door neighbour directly across from us; two cars in their driveway and four adults at home but they didn't answer the door; I shouted across saying I'll be happy to accept the parcel; normally these neighbours are home by 5 o'clock but as yet no sign of them. Whilst chopping out pointing this morning I was broken off to have a charity bag thrust into my hand. ARGGGGGGGGG.

It's not raining outside but constantly raining inside.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Colin It makes you feel that you shouldn't have bothered.

There's always something that needs doing.

Ups, should put a card in the door saying where their parcel is.

You should get the sun back next week. This week it was coming from the continent, next week we make our own.
Should have thunderstorms on Friday, could be anywhere.

Hubby got a new hose for my Dyson vacuum. It was only the button that releases the attachments that had broken. He did get a new button with a spring, but couldn't fit it in. So he bought the whole thing.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; yes even doing a favour and being helpful and generous can bite; I can't believe how so many of these little things go wrong winding up the big key in my back; 31 years of living here taking in lots of parcels for neighbours and only one neighbour in all this time has accepted a parcel for us; a couple of weeks ago another problem with MyHermes; they dropped a parcel off two doors away to new neighbours we've never even spoken to who kindly accepted the parcel for us; unfortunately MyHermes didn't leave a note I just received an email to say parcel delivered and signed for by recipient? By the time we received the parcel the live plants were more dead than alive and many have since died; our new neighbours expected us to pop on for the parcel?

UPS did put a card through our neighbours letterbox stating where their parcel had been delivered to so top marks to UPS; our neighbours arrived home a short while ago so I took the parcel straight over receiving their thanks.

Yes thunderstorms forecast for Friday; the farmers in particular will welcome them but I hope it doesn't result in flash flooding for anyone; it's that time of year again for a sudden heavy deluge causing misery for many.

Typical of anything modern Logan; why buy a small component when buying half a complete machine makes more sense; years ago I fell for the hype regarding ceramic tap washers which never wear out and bought a new kitchen mixer tap with the ceramic inserts; now a washer cost around ten pounds having to buy a pair of inserts and this was years ago; after replacing a few of these inserts at rip off price I dumped the mixer tap and bought a full turn mixer which we still have; a new rubber washer now costs pennies. We bought an all singing all dancing new vacuum cleaner to replace our old but still working Hoover Junior; the new vac is scrapped and we've bought a secondhand Hoover junior. Washing machines that require circuit boards costing one hundred pounds when a new washing machine can be bought for two hundred pounds (My pound key has just bitten the dust). Still this is progress and saves the planet? Good luck with your Dyson vac. (y)

I'm expecting rain in biblical amounts because Blackie has been storing water now for a few weeks and I'm getting used to visiting the workshop whilst still dry.

£ key working again; pressed Alt + Shift.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all sunny intervals and light wind temp. 19 to 28c

Sunrise was 5.19

Sunset 21.09

Colin sorry about your plants, you should have complained. Hubby doesn't, but i think people should.

Yes we thought that we could save money by buying the component, have to be careful with it being genuine even though it should have been.
Got the new pipe and it's fitted, thanks.

We did have insurance on our old washing machine. We had the circuit board and a new motor. Don't know if we have it on the new one.

I wish we had rain, fed up with watering the plants.

Have a good day colin and all.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-7-26_7-56-9.png

I'm already sweating. Would love to see some of the liquid gold!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your good wishes Logan; I hope you too have a wonderful day and Blackie visits you. (y)

It's not the weather just now to be buying plants online due to time to transport them; the plants I recently bought had travelled OK but then were held up at the neighbours house due to MyHermes failing to let us know where the plants had been delivered to so by the time the plants were opened the damage was already done.

Regarding MyHermes losing my parcel; I'm now 70 and considering how long its taken MyHermes to own up to losing the parcel if I should claim compensation I think I'd be a lot older by the time it was sorted out. Just a quick look at the email MyHermes sent stating I could now claim; proof of value is required plus no doubt lots more information; it's less hassle to walk away this time and save myself lots of grief; it's unlikely I'll use MyHermes again.

You'll be pleased to have your vac working again Logan; on to the next problem? :)

Over the years we've bought a number of washing machines some cheap some more expensive; we now have a very cheap Beko which cost £190 it was guaranteed for a year and we never insure white goods. When this Beko finally breaks down I'll strip useful parts from it; scrap the rest and buy another cheap Beko; This Beko must be five years old now and so far no problem so it owes us nothing. A friend put us on to Beko washing machines saying the rental companies liked these because they were so basic with few programs so proved more reliable.

Yesterday I was using sharp sand mortar doing pointing but it became too hot in the afternoon to carry on although I did complete the mortar pointing. This morning I hit the ground running and have just come indoors having now completed all the pointing this time I was using trowel mastic; I was pointing just after 7 o'clock this morning and the job has been most pleasant. A lick of paint will finish the job once the mastic skins over.

Retirement is a full time job with maximum overtime and no holidays or free weekends; I've now been retired 17 years and still struggle to enjoy a bit of time woodturning or pottering around; better busy though than dropping dead through boredom. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Finally, I am more settled, having rushed through ironing, trimming trees, watering and shredding branches .

upload_2018-7-27_8-52-15.png

I will dance when I have one butt more of water!:LOL:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well done alp in being settled but there's nothing like a bit of stress in life to keep us on our toes. :D

If I were as incompetent as weather forecasters I'd expect to be immediately sacked from my job; On Wednesday the forecast for Thursday was dry and sunny; when Thursday arrived (yesterday) the forecast now stated thunderstorms with heavy rain possibly leading to flash flooding from 6pm; at 6:30pm I removed the bed sheet from the car windscreen in readiness; today Friday was forecast on Wednesday as the day the thunderstorms would arrive but although its overcast and dark all is peaceful and not a sound from above as yet but then the forecasters are still only 16 hours out? :(

I hope Blackie will oblige with a butt full of water alp but once Blackie starts there's no stopping him? (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question