Watermelon BER?

Reaction score
Country
United States
PXL_20230821_114558250.jpg
its this BER (Blossom End Rot) it my first year growing Watermelon I have a dozen or so growing ok I just found this little guy with what looks like BER? Or is it something else I need to worry about?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you grown melons before? You need to test your soil at a lab and see what's up and to find if the soil matches the plants. You may fix it by just adding a little dolomite lime where you planted the seeds. A soil test will also tell you if you have too much of something in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Watermelon plants often reject the melons. I get that all the time but never looked like that. If that is the side that the WM sat on it might be rotting because of the moisture. It might very well be BER but I never experienced that. BER is usually due to a calcium deficiency. I always add calcium to my WM. I suggest using gypsum instead of lime.

Picked my fist 2 Crimson Sweet WM on Sunday.

Like oneeye mention testing your soil is best but with so many trees, shrubs, vines and veggies it is just to expensive for some us. With time you get to know your deficencies and what to use with what. Next time you grow WM you now know to add calcium.

MOD

Ask a Question