LED grow light starting Cucumbers and Watermelon

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time with grow lights and my configuration in a tote and bought a 9W LED grow light. Will this work better and I can leave the light on like 12 hours a day? thank you

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have any luck with that bulb let me know because I had two 8w led bulbs that sat above a flat of seedlings and the bulbs seem to do more harm than good. Don't know if the bulbs aren't strong enough or I had them too close or too far away. I got tired of fooling with them and made a mini greenhouse thing outside so they can sit in the sunlight.

I do see that the tote might bounce the light around more in there so that is definitely a plus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found that full spectrum grow lights are not what seedlings really need. Seedlings need more light in the blue spectrum than red and a full spectrum grow light is more for plants with multiple true leaves, sort of an average across the full light spectrum. I have found that the best light for seedlings are soft white and warm white bulbs, both fluorescent and flood light type bulbs. I try to keep my lights about 3 inches away from the plants and leave them on between 12 and 14 hours per day. My main lighting now is a two bulb 4 foot fluorescent tubes. Just regular home and office soft white tubes. I also use 2 soft white flood lights and keep them the same distance and the same timeline as the tubes. But, as soon as the seedlings get 2 sets of true leaves I start moving them outdoors during the day if possible and away from the lights as much as possible. Sunshine is always better.
From what I can tell from the pictures is that your seedlings are becoming a little leggy. I would move the light a little closer to the plants. Also if you line the inside of the tote with tin foil you will get better results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
It's best to keep seedlings under 16+ hours of light per day and a light like that won't keep them happy for long but may get you by this year. If you can stomach spending a $100 I'd suggest an HLG 65, that would probably serve seedlings/young plants well for at least a 3x3 area. Another cheaper option are those led shop lights often in 2' or 4' lengths, those aren't as good as a grow light and are less efficient, but still functional. If you do use basic led shop lights go for the higher Kelven/color temp and only figure on each light providing enough light for about a 1' wide strip along its length.

Unfortunately, there are no good, cheap options for propagation lights. The expensive lights become worth it when they're on all the time due to their high efficiency and long lifespans. The HLG Propagator is probably the closest at $120 per 4' strip but at that point you may as well get the HLG 65 with twice the wattage (unless you need to keep the lights close, as with growing on shelves). I use Fluence Razrx fixtures, which are fantastic to cover a ~3'x4' area, but cost $300+ each, not worth it if they're only being used 6-8 weeks a year.

I included pics of my Fluence lights that I'm currently using for veggie and flower seedlings, and my HLG 65 which I just use above a terrarium.

PXL_20220427_163222474.jpg
PXL_20220427_163701286.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you're saying I can use this light as a grow light? I do know they are bright.
Will one light work sitting over 2 flats of seedlings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
So you're saying I can use this light as a grow light? I do know they are bright.
Yeah, I'd say it should work pretty well, if you can fit two flats lengthwise underneath I think it would be enough. In a perfect world maybe you'd have three of those over four flats but you can always add another light if needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd say it should work pretty well, if you can fit two flats lengthwise underneath I think it would be enough. In a perfect world maybe you'd have three of those over four flats but you can always add another light if needed.
Ok thanks. If I decide to try artificial lighting again, I'll give that one a go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I just put onion eeds into a seed tray, cover them & put them in a propagator in the utility room.
When they germinate I move them to the cool greenhouse, & I prick out & pot up when they have 2 leaves.
I'm still eating last August's onions.
I'll be planting out this August's in this coming week.
Most onions are hardy enough to easily deal with the worst UK weather in May.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I have that light now and want to play with it on some test tomato plants. About how far above the soil do I hang the light?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This tiny light could be good for seedlings, as you can see some of the plants are looking for light hence the long legs, this could be due to a lack of air circulation as well.
I would suggest buying a "quantum board" like one member above suggested, HLG is one of the top LED companies and the 65W version could be a nice match for a small 1.5x1.5 ft or so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I can tell from the pictures is that your seedlings are becoming a little leggy. I would move the light a little closer to the plants. Also if you line the inside of the tote with tin foil you will get better results.
Intuitively silver foil seems the most reflective, but I am told that in reality brilliant white emulsion paint reflects more light, and it is cheaper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Gardener) advises Over 3,000 lumens & 5,000 Kelvins.
He uses a 4' shop light, sold at Walmart, 5,000 L/6,500 K ($20+-) and has great results. (If the Kelvins aren't listed he uses the "Daylight")
He's been posting on Youtube for a number of years. The results speak for themselves.

Ask a Question